Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's had the best year in mma?

Default Who's had the best year in mma?

Just thought i'd see what people think. I think Brian hyslop has had the best 2011.

He won a semi-pro title down south at start of the year then turned pro winning his first three seeing him ranked 6th in the uk and has just ended the year with a big win on a big promotion against ian malone which should see him ranked in top 3 in uk.

other guys that spring to mind are martin delaney, Stevie ray and graham turner
    Lanark MMA/ NinjaswithAttitude - DNFT Pro fighter

i would agree with all of the above.

Paul Reed went 4-2 with a win over Corrasani in there too

Also Alan Johnstone has been on a stormer

Turner broke into top 3 in uk rankings, is now number one contender for CW title with some solid wins.

Reedys win over Corrasani is a big win no doubt, who is the other 3 guys he has beat this year?

Delaney put himself in title contention at on top, perfect 5-0 record as a pro in a year

AJ has been awesome as well, i expect next year will be more his break out year.

Ray had some good wins, if he had win the on top 4 man id have giving it to him

Hissy gets my vote, hanging with top level guys already in less than a year being a pro. The tranformation in his game has been incredible this year

SFB/Your MMA are doing Scottish MMA Awards after Hostile to get everyone's votes on stuff like this. It's sponsored by On Top, who are kindly giving out some prizes to the winners.

At the moment, the contenders I've got for Fighter of the Year are Hissy, McVeigh, Ray & Turner. Open to adding others to that if folks think it is merited. Delaney has obviously had a great year, but I don't have him in it because I think the others have achieved slightly more (Hissy top 3-5 in UK, McVeigh on TUF and retaining CW title, Ray in UK top 20 and SFC title, Turner UK top 3 and Europe top 10).

Got a Breakthrough Fighter of the Year category too for guys who have really emerged this year, to give credit to those who don't quite make Fighter of the Year. Bunch of other categories as well, should be a good bit of fun over Xmas period.
    Check out Your MMA on Facebook www.facebook.com/YourMMA

James Lake - Event Co-ordinator / Business Development

Scottish MMA can often be overlooked in any UK awards so good to be a bit more regional and give praise to people that put a lot of work into Scottish MMA. There are so many fighters and inspirational characters in MMA that recognition should be given
    www.ontoppromotions.co.uk - MMA Promotion/Fighter Management

Hissy, Delaney and AJ could all be break through fighter of the year, all turned pro this year all been very impressive.

Turner making the top 3 ranking could take fighter of the year, cant imagine any other scottish fighters higher than BW making top 3 in the UK rankings

Agree with fighter of the year being Turner and breakthrough fighter being out of Delaney,Hissy and AJ all had a fanastic year all due to there hardwork and dedication.

But what would everyone say is there "Fight of the year" involving a Scottish fighter, ones that spring to mind are Doolan vs Aranda and Ray vs Ward. I've heard the Whiteford vs James fight was a war but haven't seen it.
    Semi Pro BW 2-1-0 Lanark MMA

Plenty of contenders for KO and Sub of the year too. We're also doing a Semi Pro of the Year award, it's a really tough one to call.

KO I think I'd go for Whiteford v Galbraith, but Szarafiniak's spinning back fist at Sportfight 14 was fucking cool too. Sub there are so many to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bateman View Post
    Plenty of contenders for KO and Sub of the year too. We're also doing a Semi Pro of the Year award, it's a really tough one to call.

KO I think I'd go for Whiteford v Galbraith, but Szarafiniak's spinning back fist at Sportfight 14 was fucking cool too. Sub there are so many to choose from.
    what would be the semi pro categories coz Szarafiniak's spinning back fist at sportfight was semi pro+rabs ko of davie was at pro level so they dnt have to jossle for ko of the year if semi pro has a ko of the year,fight of the year,fighter of the year etc....

Fighter of the Year and Breakthrough Fighter are both pro-only.

Both pro and semi-pro are eligible for KO, Sub, Fight. They won't be separate awards for pro and semi-pro, just one award covering both.
    Last edited by David Bateman; 13-12-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Made it clearer