Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrist trouble?

Ok chers guys. Didn't think I'd get a response to this but you've definitely given me some things to think about.

Can I hop in on this thread? I keep injuring my left hand when I'm throwing hooks. It's the outside of the hand below the little finger, about halfway between my lowest knukle and my wrist. First time round the doctor that did the x ray couldn't see any damage and said it was torn ligaments. Second time round it felt more like bone crumpling up and it has healed quicker.

The lad that normally pads for me is very strong with the pads and out of the two times I have injured my hand I was:

(1) Wearing cross-training gloves as he wasn't expecting me to be able to punch much.
    (2) Wearing 8oz gloves without wraps (i'd forgot them).

I realise that part of the problem is landing it wrong towards the end of the session when I'm knackered. Is more padding also the way forward? I obviously know I need to improve my hook technique but I don't want to screw my hand up again whilst doing so...

people tend to return the pad to hard , if i pad women i use a more forgiving pads that i use for heavy hitters, they have a bit more cushion. Also 8 oz are not enough for padwork, you should be using a 10 atleast and always wrap your hands. it keeps all the bones in places when you punch. where you training at ? PM me if you like

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

I'm just at the local leisure centre in Strood. 2 of the PT' there are competing boxers. I get free sessions with membership as its council run. I am getting nagged to get down to the local boxing gym by them too, which is nice.

I've got a thing going on with about 5 other local ladies to lift share to the gym and it's getting me there 3 - 5 times a week, which is working well for me!

I think I'm going to sell my lightly used 16 ozs from back in the day and get a pair of 12oz gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Femme-ma View Post
    I'm just at the local leisure centre in Strood. 2 of the PT' there are competing boxers. I get free sessions with membership as its council run. I am getting nagged to get down to the local boxing gym by them too, which is nice.

I've got a thing going on with about 5 other local ladies to lift share to the gym and it's getting me there 3 - 5 times a week, which is working well for me!

I think I'm going to sell my lightly used 16 ozs from back in the day and get a pair of 12oz gloves.
    Being picky Rach, but have you tried 14's?? I swear by them! I always used to use 16's, but being built like a small child (LW/FW) I found them like comedy hands! . I find 14's offer both the protection and they are quite significantly smaller as the session progresses! Twins Special 14oz FTW
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Quote Originally Posted by Femme-ma View Post

the 16's are probably to big for your hand, 12's will be ok , just get them to show you how to wrap your hands, there are a couple of different ways to pack your hands out , cotton wool or strips of bandage tapped together.
    Maybe go to the local bocing club and get the trainer to wrap your hands so you can see how to do it.
    Not bigging myself up but I am pretty damn good at doing hands

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Yup. 16s always looked like comedy gloves. I think 12s are reasonable considering my lack of size.

Will get my PT to show me seeing as he is a trained at the ABC.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

There's a few possible problems with wrists. This is one that often gets missed: http://combatsportsclinic.com/2011/0...omplex-injury/
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

i injured both my wrists mainly my right wrist but it was my own stupid fault hitting the bad + pads without wraps the pain was unbearable and the hospital said it was a minor sprain and should rest it for a week and after a whole year and still having problems and it was affecting me at work i finally got to see a good physio and he gave me a resistance band thing and got told to do different wrist curls and making the band tighter when i got used to it a little bit ect, then got told to use a stress ball ( this was better than the band in my opinion) and put my arm at 90 degrees with my palms facing the ceiling and keep squeezing now its almost as good as new but now and then i feel it a little bit when hooking but then i rest it and repeat maybe these stregnthening excersises can help u
    The clown has no penis

I was out for around 2 years after a series of wrist operations, due to bad technique hitting the bags when tired and not wrapping my hands corectly. When I was finally ready to train again I got myself some good hand wraps (I would recommend mexican style) and learned how to wrap properly. I was still getting pains in my wrist every now and then so bought some better quality gloves, I've had zero problems since. I'm using these in a size 16 at the moment for padwork and they have plenty of wrist support:

http://rivalboxing.eu/index.php/product/36/RS2V