Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA journalist Ariel Helwani to have amateur first MMA fight

Default MMA journalist Ariel Helwani to have amateur first MMA fight

MMA journalist Ariel Helwani revealed today he is scheduled to have an amateur MMA bout in January 2012. The 29 year old recently awarded MMA journalist of the year award for the second successive year suprised many when he revealed he has been training for two years.

Helwani commented: "I've kept this low-key obviously it just started off just as a keep fit thing and also self defence really" he smiled adding: "I live in New York now it's a dangerous place sometimes".

When asked where he'd trained the Canadian responded "mainly at Fight House because it's near where I live though I obviously travel a lot following UFC events. I've done a few sessions at Jackson's, Blackhouse, Team Quest and a few other one-offs like at the Rough House with UFC 138 being close-by".

When asked why he'd started the training Ariel said: "well there is the fact that I get quite a lot of spare time on the road, I enjoy it and it's a way of challenging myself". Probing about his skillset revealed: "I've learned a few tricks. Look it's obviously just a hobby but my thai kicks are reasonable and my dirty boxing technique particularly the overhand right are alright".

When asked about his amateur bout in January he revealed: "it's just a way of test what I've learned. It gives me something to aim for. The match is against a guy at a similar level from the Renzo Gracie gym (home of Frankie Edgar among others). It won't be filmed or anything".

When asked which weight division the clash will be Ariel said: "it's at lightweight". The journalist profile raised considerably after a series of run-ins with Rampage Jackson. Asked if he would one day consider a match up with the former light heavy weight champion he joked: "sure we can do that if he gets down to lightweight".
    Last edited by jayman2606; 17-12-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Wonder how Rampage will handle the cut.

wonder if he carrys out a post fight interview with his opponant
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

He's a fucking tedious little leech on a par with football agents, earning a living on the back of other peoples sweat. Getting exclusives from White puts him in the company man/scab/grass bracket.

I hope he gets all four limbs snapped and his fucking jaw shattered.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscrapper View Post
    He's a fucking tedious little leech on a par with football agents, earning a living on the back of other peoples sweat. Getting exclusives from White puts him in the company man/scab/grass bracket.

Really??....

Quote Originally Posted by paulscrapper View Post

bit harsh. granted he annoying at times but bot that annoying
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

I hope he gets KTFO badly

I think he is great, he cracks me up!

I like Ariel; he's not afraid to ask questions that may get him in hot water; he's the Louie Theroux of MMA

Quote Originally Posted by DanCrase View Post
    I like Ariel; he's not afraid to ask questions that may get him in hot water; he's the Louie Theroux of MMA
    Like that comment!