Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop help

Hybrid View

Default Laptop help

Hello lads, my laptop is showing the blue screen of death and i was thinking of takin advantage of the insurance i took out where by i smash it then claim i was in an accident to get a new one for free.

anyone done this or any tips how to go about it?

if not can anyone recommend a good, budgeted laptop to buy with all the trimmings

thanks

ive fixed 2 laptops in the last week just by punching them

so no help beyond punchin my laptop? thanks Dunny i will attempt it.

anyone else? or do i go over to the fight lounge due to this place dying a death.

thanks

350 will get you a good machine now, pc world

Mac all the way.
    100x better than any windows based pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Daihlo View Post
    Mac all the way.
    Definitely.
    An unintuitive consequence of conditional probability.

Quote Originally Posted by Daihlo View Post
    Mac all the way.
    People say this but I have a pc with 3.4Ghz quad-core, 4Gb ram, 1Tb harddrive, ATI Radeon 4800 HD... which was put together for well under 500. The cheapest quad core Mac is over 2k... lol

I don't understand why people love Macs so much. I've used them before and they're the same as a pc but just cost more and have more thought put into aesthetics of the OS etc. Both types do exactly the same things.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    People say this but I have a pc with 3.4Ghz quad-core, 4Gb ram, 1Tb harddrive, ATI Radeon 4800 HD... which was put together for well under 500. The cheapest quad core Mac is over 2k... lol

I don't understand why people love Macs so much. I've used them before and they're the same as a pc but just cost more and have more thought put into aesthetics of the OS etc. Both types do exactly the same things.

This is like comparing Lesnar to GSP!
    Lesnar has all the muscle and power, but is inefficient at using it and will therefore gas quickly.
    Couple of testing moments and everything goes to pot!

I used to do high end video editing on a pc setup which included dedicated hardware just for rendering which would take all the load for effects off my CPU.

I then bought a Mac which was half the spec of the pc without dedicated rendering.

The Mac would still render video file conversions 3 times faster than the PC and would never crash.
    The PC would crash often like Brock does.

PCs are made from components that are thrown together, most often pc manufacturers will get the cheapest parts they can, in order to keep the price down to compete with market. This means every part has not been sourced to work specifically with the spec of the other parts. Add to this a crap OS like windows which itself is chaotic in design and completely inefficient at using hardware resources, and you have a recipe for disaster.

May look good on paper, but will not do the job its supposed to do for long.

Macs are only built by Apple. All the parts are sourced, tested extensively to work together. the build quality of the structure is not just designed to 'look good' but also has practical purpose. for example, the Ali case on my MacbookPro keeps the whole system running really low temp as the whole mac is a heatsink! (draws heat off the cpu/ram chips). Therefore my Mac runs silent.
    As the temp is down, it also processes as fast as it should. It doesnt slow down as Windows will...

Trust me, there's a reason that 99% of people who go to Mac, never go back to Windows. I dont care for designer 'chic' but I do want a laptop that does what a laptop should do!

Mac all the way anyday.

I bet my 2.4ghz dual core, 4gb ram will outperform and outlast your quad-core pc hands down, you could double - treble your ram and the result would still be the same.

Has anyone got an iPad? Pros and cons?
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

ipad is very nice.
    Depends on what you want it for though for pro's con's.

Over every other tablet currently on market in the UK, ipad is much nicer to use.
    touchpad is way better than any of the others still.

the OS is very good, itunes is great for apps. You ipad will do pretty much whatever you want to set it up to do.

Con's is no flash.
    This is seen as a con if you want to run flash based games, or flash based videos and sites.
    Having said that, flash sites are outdated and slow, very heavy on bandwidth.

Flash video sites, at least all the big ones have dual conversion so are now i-friendly mostly anyway.
    flash games, well, you can get most of them for free on itunes anyway.
    Or pay 69p for a game that is excellent quality mostly.

The other real con for me is the price. ipad is pricey.
    Apple are releasing a smaller one later this year which will prob have a cut price also.

the one to wait for though before buying at the mo is the Kindle Fire.
    This is like a small ipad and the US version is getting excellent reviews...

Also comes with Amazon market which will be offering millions of apps, songs, vids, books etc...
    And being Android based, you can also still use itunes for other stuff.

Price wise, early estimates are that it will only cost 100-150 sold as a loss leader just to get the market and then make profit on Amazon purchases... Out later this year.