Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMA Referees

Default MMA Referees

What advice would you offer someone who was interested in refereeing MMA fights?
    I've seen posts by people who've been involved in MMA for years that a good place to start would be to shadow experienced fight judges and work your way up from there.
    Would this be something you agree with?
    Quocunque Jeceris Stabit.

I started reffed a few events, then did Marc Goddards Ref Course and worked with him twice on Lockdown FC. Fantastic learning experience for me and it has made me a better referee overall. A great starting point would be to do Marc's course. Very useful.

Simon.
    Sponsored By www.faixarua.net

Fightingfan (and thanks simon!) pretty much you have The right idea, shadowing is a great way forward and provides much needed experience. You can never substitute time served and many think there is a short cut when there simply isnt. Find your local show and get involved in all areas. This would be a great start. Good luck :-)
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Hello Marcus , yes good point , I worked on both Jon and dans show last year , on dans show I worked with mark Woodward who has you know is very experienced. That show was my first one nearly more nerve wracking than competing but less painful.
    He was very helpful giving me tips and advice which I really appreciated. It made me see the fights from a completely different angle .

I hopefully can get a few more under my belt this year , when's your next seminar ? Couldn't make your last one , will you next one be here in sunny Birmingham ?

Harv

hey harvey! long time mate hope you are good pal!

i will be doing another seminar here in birmingham later in then year, for now it is huddersfield, portsmouth and then im abroad with it too.

hope to catch up soon mate.

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

Nice one mate,

Sound like it's all going well for you , keep us up dated then and I'll see u for the b ham one !

Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    hey harvey! long time mate hope you are good pal!

i will be doing another seminar here in birmingham later in then year, for now it is huddersfield, portsmouth and then im abroad with it too.

hope to catch up soon mate.
    Marc, please can you post details of your next courses?

Cheers

Matty please see my Facebook wall mate. I will post the next two here or main forum over weekend mate.

never argue with a fool

I have attended 2 of Marc's courses now and would still go again!
    Not because I didnt get the message on the courses, but because there is always something to learn about Refereeing & Judging!
    Professional MMA Referee www.mmaofficials.co.uk

Neil has hit the nail on the head. You never stop learning. I've been on Marcs course once and would have been again if not for date clashes. I would go to every one if I could.

I will be offering shadowing coaching this year where you actually get to ref a fight at the end of it too. (Obviously on low level or interclub shows)