Thread: Stretching

Hybrid View

Default Stretching

After seeing you recently and getting Dan to stretch more, was wondering if there was an "All round" stretching routine for lifting/mma? or should you just stretch the areas you are working each session?
    Professional MMA Referee www.mmaofficials.co.uk

This is a good question mate, off the top of my head I would say the following areas need to be stretched by most for development of flexibility (from the ground up):
    Calves
    Hammies
    Quads
    Glutes
    Hip Flexors
    Adductors/Groin
    Shoulders
    Lats
    Pecs

Some people might not need to do all of em and some will have to emphasise certain areas due to tightness etc. Some may need rotator cuff, forearm, etc etc more specific work.

Its generally a good thing to stretch the muscles worked after a session and even better if this is preceded by foam rolling to work on the quality of the muscle tissue.
    40s is a minimum for development ideally 60s IMO but low intensity like 3-5/10 in terms of discomfort.

I am going to do a tutorial on stretching very soon so will post it up.

That answer your question?
    S&C Made Easy: http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/ twitter @brendanchaplin

I am sure i read somewhere that strectching can be bad? actually reduces performance?
    I don't believe in belts. There should be no ranking system for toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHillman View Post
    I am sure i read somewhere that strectching can be bad? actually reduces performance?
    I think that could have been refering to static stretching before exercise

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Oli Ng View Post
    I think that could have been refering to static stretching before exercise
    Also, IIRC, at least one study showed that sprinters who did a bunch of hamstring stretches got slower.

All about context - there's an optimal level of flexibility for each person, and it is possible to have too much. At the same time, having enough flexibility is also important. It's making sure you get the trade off right.

It's a complicated subject (which is why research tends to show mixed results). Looking forward to reading Brendan's take on it!
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Again, just throwing out a link to a nice, simple and quick dynamic stretching routine that I've been using for a while and seen a lot of benefit from:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...tml#question04

Joe has trained a bunch of high level athletes in the States so although it isn't specifically MMA or BJJ, it's probably fairly relevant to us lot too.
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Thanks Brendan, yes it does answer the question but I will be looking out for your tutorial.

I have heard varying opinions on the positives and negatives of stretching.

I know many people I see regularly do no stretching at all or very little and seem to get away with it but others ar just so tight they must surley benefit from some form of stretching at the correct time and in the correct way.

It is not something I am properly informed about. Having started Martial Arts 30 years ago much of the stretching then was prehistoric. Having said that the guys then were very flexible/supple. How much damage over the years this type of stretching caused I dont know. I know I have many joint issues and regular soft tissue damage now even though my stretching methods have evolved over the years. And I suppose stretching in certain ways would be particular to the individual, what works for them?
    Professional MMA Referee www.mmaofficials.co.uk

Thanks all for your comments,

Static stretching before exercise has generally been shown to reduce power outputs in jumping and sprinting. It is thought that this is due to changes in the length tension relationship in the muscle groups which then increases contractile time, reducing explosiveness. However there was a recent study that showed that static stretching followed by dynamic warm-up does not impact your power output. (only 1 paper).
    Training implications are don't do static stretching in your warm-up unless you follow this with a full dynamic warm-up.

There is an optimal length/tension relationship in certain muscle groups which varies between individuals, ss Rosi mentioned in her post. The key is to find the right balance for you as an individual.
    For me you need to have a flexibility surplus meaning that you need to be able to go beyond the ranges you'll experience in your sport in order to reduce incidence of injury, but its like any physical quality, you need to be realistic about where you want to go with it in line with the rest of your training. You can't develop flexibility like a gymnast when you've got to do all the other components that make up a fighters programme.

Good anecdotal story about Michael Owen (not totally convinced its true) during the time he was going through difficulties with his hamstrings. They put a physio on him with a brief to get rid of his hamstring tweaks and strains, the physio did his job and got him injury free, but then got promptly fired! Why? His 10 and 20 metre sprint times had increased (He'd slowed him down)! Although we can't say exactly why this was the case, it could well have been down to the increased length impacting the length tension relationship in the hamstring group.

To be honest as always the best way to assess whether you need to stretch a certain muscle group is to be assessed by a qualified professional, or buy a product like Assess and Correct by eric cressey and learn to do it yourself.

For me, developmental stretching is best achieved as a separate training unit where you can focus on the goal of the session (increasing range). If you have adequate range you need to make sure you keep it as well as developing other areas that need work.

A good dynamic warm-up is KEY to a good training session, staying injury free as well as improving your mobility. Sure the defranco one is good.
    Here some mobility movements that might be worth you doing: Daily mobility 1 Daily mobility 2

You can use static stretching at the end of a session to restore range in key areas that have been worked in that session.

Just my thoughts on it though!

Good thread, any more thoughts?
    S&C Made Easy: http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/ twitter @brendanchaplin