Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A ref's point of view: Does MMA need a sanctioning body?

Hybrid View

Default A ref's point of view: Does MMA need a sanctioning body?

Hi,

I would just like to gauge your opinions a little.

Although their are some excellent individual fighters here in the UK, and indeed some top promotions, do you think that promoters & coaches should support a National Sanctioning Body that would ensure promoters meet certain criteria when running shows, match-making for titles, etc?

The reason i ask is that in pretty much any part of the UK there seems to be promotions popping up that each have their own version of 'British', and more laughably, 'European' champions.

With a sanctioning body would it not give the title more credibility?

Do you think it would raise standards?

Your input appreciated.

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

An interesting question this, is it not possible that since UKMMA is still a relatively small group of people that we could self regulate if people stopped being dicks and got along?
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Massive question, I think Craig is right though at this point, it should all start with self regulation and a progression from there. the more people in the industry insist on good standards and improvments the closer we will get.
    Much more to discuss for sure but, just a quick answer for now.
    Professional MMA Referee www.mmaofficials.co.uk

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Hall View Post
    Massive question, I think Craig is right though at this point, it should all start with self regulation and a progression from there. the more people in the industry insist on good standards and improvments the closer we will get.
    Much more to discuss for sure but, just a quick answer for now.
    Much nicer way of putting what I wrote lol
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Short answer no, but at the same time yes!!!

No - why? because who runs it? We are still a relitaviley small group and expertise can only come from within and this would cause huge conflict and questionable practices - unless those involved/appointed completely resigned and stepped away from all current involvement with any and all association[s] to ensure and satisfy total impartiality. This is the nonly way a governing body of any description can work. Also anything or any "body" imposing any form of restriction or punishemnt will need to be adhered too by all concerned. My fear is that we would just have a huge "unlicensed" scene just as we see in boxing right now.

Yes -why? because fighter safety [prime importance] licensed fighters, suspensions, medicals etc are only ever a good thing, this is alot closer than people may think and this is the first step to implement before we go about setting the infra-structure for the above. Licensed officials, matchmakers, clubs, promotors etc - this will come in time. For now we can trust the reputable shows and promotors to self govern from within and ensure the standards are continually raised and exceeded.

It is quite difficult to answer here in full without going into huge detail. if you search yourmma.tv i had an interview with Jay after one of my Ref & Judge seminars that details exactly the content that you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by marc goddard; 03-01-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post

It is quite difficult to answer here in full without going into huge detail. if you search yourmma.tv i had an interview with Jay after one of my Ref & Judge seminars that details exactly the content that you are looking for.
    Here is the interview!

Default re

Thanks Jay!

Here is another even mnore in depth that I had done http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...n-the-UK-34824

Thanks.

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

Marc do you think it would be more plausable/workable/possible to have some sort of web based organization that promoters could become members of which would not have power over the promotion itself but would have equal democratic powers over fighters/officials?

So for example if a fighter let one show down or struck an opponent after the final bell the issue could be flagged up to the group and the voted on by the members as to the action that should be taken (banned from all member promoters shows).

The members would all have to agree to have certain standards and any further standards would be voted on before introduced.

If a member is not honouring the agreement then they can be voted out.

This would not be the same as a governing body but would achieve some of what a body would achieve and would give fighters certain assurances if they fought on member shows.

Would perhaps ceperate some of the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

I say web based as the involvement would need to be cheap as i cannot see everybody going to meetings around the country and it would make it very simple to inform everybody by email of an issue and then enable them to vote on it.

It would be a start and it would be cheap for everybody.
    Last edited by BakedBean; 03-01-2012 at 12:57 PM.

BB! thanks for the response, i will look at and answer in detail later.

Cheers.

never argue with a fool

Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    BB! thanks for the response, i will look at and answer in detail later.

Cheers.
    Any responce to this?