Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A ref's point of view: Does MMA need a sanctioning body?

Thanks to all that commented and expressing your opinions. Good article there by Marc.

Just a few points:-

- Are the main promoters following the unified rules as laid out by the American Athletic Associations/Commissions? It is very easy to get confused as from the local events i have been to that promote Amateur, Semi-pro, Pro-B, and Pro rules, i often think that as the sport is so young in the UK, that aren't we confusing ourselves with the sheer amount of variations of formats available for fighters? This then brings us to the titles on offer.... Semi-pro British champion. Pro European champion, etc. I haven't done a head count but i am pretty sure i live within a 5 mile radius of at least 4 British middleweight champions!!!!!

- Are the athletic commissions of the US made up of experienced people from MMA?

It is a hard one to see how regulation could come about. I certainly think that we are capable of self-regulating to a degree, but it would take a lot of time and effort, and a lot of publicity from the main figureheads to push the concept... The BBBoC is only a private limited company yet it regulates pro boxing quite well, even though there is an explosion of unlicensed events happening. It would take a lot of educating for people to want to only participate in sanctioned events.

The main promoters are following the Unified rules and some are using NSAC rules for their amateur rules.
    However there are still many promoters using the varied sets of old style rules all around the UK.

From a Referees point of view sticking to the 2 sets of rules above is the way forward (Rules will and do evolve over time, but currently, these are what we have leading the way). I do appreciate that smaller events want to please the fighters and fans loclal to them with various sets of rules to allow for that, but ultimatley we need to be pushing for the above which is what I try and do wherever I go.

I do still Referee the older/various rules on some events, in fact I think in my earlier refereeing it could have helped my development as far as mental agility and adaptability and certainly to have a keen eye, when I could be Refereeing up to 4 sets of rules in the same event. Now though we should be striving to persuade all the Promoters to use the Unified Rules.
    Professional MMA Referee www.mmaofficials.co.uk

Thanks Neil. I think Unified & NSAC Amateur is the way forward. For some reason the UK is fascinated with 'classing' ie A,B,C class, meaning different rules for each class, (often referred to as amateur, semi-pro, and pro rules, but now incorporating pro-b rules?? which i am asuming is NSAC Amateur, but whereby fighters get paid??) it just gets confusing. They do it with Muay Thai, K1, and MMA.

Is the different rules in the States just as confusing?

Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    BB! thanks for the response, i will look at and answer in detail later.

Cheers.
    Any responce to this?