Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports injury blogs - any requests?

Hybrid View

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Default Sports injury blogs - any requests?

I'm just planning the next few months' blogs for the Combat Sports Clinic website.

Does anyone have any requests for topics they'd like to see covered?

Previous topics here.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Hi Rosi, Happy New Year to you.

I have a meniscal tear in my left knee and will be having keyhole surgery sometime this year. I have my 2nd consultation with my consultant in March. Just wondered, what's the average recovery time from this kind of operation back to training (this can included jogging on a running machine, weighted squats) not just BJJ/Judo? I am aware that work on an exercise bike to help with cardio will assist with my recovery. Ultimately, it's about getting back to BJJ/Judo.

Thanks

Ben
    'STAND FAST'

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Bendy View Post
    Hi Rosi, Happy New Year to you.

I have a meniscal tear in my left knee and will be having keyhole surgery sometime this year. I have my 2nd consultation with my consultant in March. Just wondered, what's the average recovery time from this kind of operation back to training (this can included jogging on a running machine, weighted squats) not just BJJ/Judo? I am aware that work on an exercise bike to help with cardio will assist with my recovery. Ultimately, it's about getting back to BJJ/Judo.

Thanks

Ben
    To an extent, it depends on exactly what operation they're going to do. Most often these days, they "trim" the meniscus, and the recovery time from that - as atlasmma says - is pretty fast. Sometimes they repair the meniscus, which tends to lead to a longer recovery time, because you have to be more careful with it in the early stages of healing.

Generally, though, it's a pretty straightforward affair.

I'd highly recommend doing some work to strengthen the leg, possibly before but certainly after the operation. Definitely speak to your physio about this though. The important thing is to correct any residual weakness or muscle imbalance which could leave you at risk of a repeat injury.

I'm planning on posting some more detailed blogs on knees soon.

Hi Ben, sure Rosi will be able to help you more but I've had this exact surgery myself so can offer a few tips from my point of view.

I wasn't even given crutches when I'd had the surgery and it was same day release, so I walked out of the hospital 6 hours after the operation.

You'll be looking at the wounds themselves being healed 1-2 weeks after. Once these are healed up and no longer leaking, you should start doing some nice low-impact exercise. I wouldn't advise running for a good few months after though (the meniscus is basically a cushion between your knee, and you're having a section of it cut out. There's not a lot of blood flowing through the cartridge, so it doesn't heal as fast as say, a cut on your skin. The last thing you wanna do is run, which is one of the worst things for joint impact, before you're properly healed.

Start cycling 2 weeks after the surgery, but make sure you have the seat set at the right height - if you have the seat set low and flex the knee too much, you'll know about it and it certainly doesn't feel like it's doing you any good!

Once the surgery holes have 100% healed on the outside, you should start swimming. Basically, you need to try and make sure any exercise is low impact and doesn't twist the knee at all.

I started MT around 2 months and bjj around 3 months after my surgery and took it very slow for the first couple of months, but you need to go at the pace your body tells you, not what someone else has done.

For the record, I had what was described as a 'bucket handle' or 'fish-mouth' tear in my left meniscus, and had around 40% of it removed.

Stay sensible and happy healing!
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlasmma View Post
    Hi Ben, sure Rosi will be able to help you more but I've had this exact surgery myself so can offer a few tips from my point of view.

I wasn't even given crutches when I'd had the surgery and it was same day release, so I walked out of the hospital 6 hours after the operation.

You'll be looking at the wounds themselves being healed 1-2 weeks after. Once these are healed up and no longer leaking, you should start doing some nice low-impact exercise. I wouldn't advise running for a good few months after though (the meniscus is basically a cushion between your knee, and you're having a section of it cut out. There's not a lot of blood flowing through the cartridge, so it doesn't heal as fast as say, a cut on your skin. The last thing you wanna do is run, which is one of the worst things for joint impact, before you're properly healed.

Start cycling 2 weeks after the surgery, but make sure you have the seat set at the right height - if you have the seat set low and flex the knee too much, you'll know about it and it certainly doesn't feel like it's doing you any good!

Once the surgery holes have 100% healed on the outside, you should start swimming. Basically, you need to try and make sure any exercise is low impact and doesn't twist the knee at all.

I started MT around 2 months and bjj around 3 months after my surgery and took it very slow for the first couple of months, but you need to go at the pace your body tells you, not what someone else has done.

For the record, I had what was described as a 'bucket handle' or 'fish-mouth' tear in my left meniscus, and had around 40% of it removed.

Stay sensible and happy healing!
    Thanks, dude. I do have a great physio who my brother put me in touch with. He deals with a lot of dancers, who have been seen by the same surgeon, had both knees done and are dancing back in the West end. From what my physio said, bit like what you said...that I'd be walking out the same day and not long after the op.

I reckon the key to it will be getting my cardio up before the op. Not that I'm in a hurry (coughs and looks from side to side). Been told to do plenty of exercise bike work but to make sure I focus on bringing my knees up straight and not in and out to the side. Taken me months to get this diagnosed (paid for mri scan and to see consultant). Thought it was originally an MCL injury.

Cheers for feedback, Atlas
    'STAND FAST'

For totally selfish reasons (obviously :P ) it would be really cool if you could cover hamstring tears Rosi!!

I wouldn't bother with smashing any excessive exercise before the op, because you're going to be sat on your arse for a few weeks and won't be doing anything intense for a couple of months. In my opinion you should probably write off getting in any kind of shape until you're all healed up. Just concentrate on eating well and staying as active as is safely possible.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Thanks for the feedbck, Rosi (and Atlasmma).
    'STAND FAST'

Think rib injuries are definatly worth a discussion, as costo-chondral injuries seem to be frequent among grapplers.
    Sam

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod