Thread: Medial Elbow pain

Dinky Ninja
    Paul McVeigh
    Pro Fighter

Default Medial Elbow pain

I have an epidemic of this shit with the Gi guys and pad holders. Anything you could suggest that would help?
    MMA Strength, Conditioning and Awesomeness Blog- UPDATED 8/2/11 Random Musings prior to actual content http://maccavelli.wordpress.com/

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Yep, that's pretty standard in my experience.

It's a tricky one to get on top of, because really the best answer is to stop holding pads. Taping helps, and the right kind of strengthening work for the forearm muscles. And stretching / eccentrics for the medial shoulder rotators, along with general rotator cuff / shoulder stability work. I'll get a blog sorted out.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Rosi, I also seem to have a form of griphouse armbar elbow. My discomfort extends from my forearm on to my elbow and slightly beyond this. I first annoyed my forearm at a gi comp in November. I've tried ice and rest but it's still annoying me from time to time. Can you suggest any exercises or is this one for my physio? Thanks in advance.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Hi Neil

It really depends how bad it is. If it is a tendon problem (I've not seen it, so I don't know for sure - follow this advice at your own risk) then they often respond well to eccentric loading. Ideally you want to work at the point where you can feel some discomfort, but it's not acutely painful.

I'm just putting up a blog with some other suggestions too.

If it's very painful, or getting worse, then it's probably worth seeing someone about it.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Thanks Rosi. As a general rule of thumb, should you be avoiding bjj until you get on top of the problem?

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

I believe I know the cause of this elbow pain....

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_D View Post
    Thanks Rosi. As a general rule of thumb, should you be avoiding bjj until you get on top of the problem?
    The general rule is to try and avoid anything which causes exacerbation of the symptoms. For some people, that'll be any BJJ, others might be able to do no-gi but not gi, or it might be ok if you stick to drilling technique and light rolling. Taping might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    Yep, that's pretty standard in my experience.

It's a tricky one to get on top of, because really the best answer is to stop holding pads. Taping helps, and the right kind of strengthening work for the forearm muscles. And stretching / eccentrics for the medial shoulder rotators, along with general rotator cuff / shoulder stability work. I'll get a blog sorted out.
    Thanks you for the post.

I have had this on and off for the past few years on both elbows, above and below and it is agony and right enough seems to get worse with Gi. I've found wearing a 'tennis elbow support' helps a lot when training and I try to do exercises which use the muscles in that area on the regular.

As well as this what helped me the most was making sure my arms are properly warmed up before training and properly stretched afterwards.
    Asa | www.granitecitygrappling.com