Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Joe Rogan v Mario Yamasaki

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Except that the questions weren't neutral - Rogan publically expressed disagreement with Yamasaki while watching the replay, and then went on to say to Silva that he considered him the winner. I thought it undermined yamasaki's authority and looked very bad. Also - what if it had turned out to be an obviously incorrect call? How would that have looked for the UFC then? No referee could change his decision while being interviewed under those circumstances and retain any credibility at all, but being forced to defend the decision made would only make things worse.

It's all a matter of opinion though, I guess.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    Except that the questions weren't neutral - Rogan publically expressed disagreement with Yamasaki while watching the replay, and then went on to say to Silva that he considered him the winner. I thought it undermined yamasaki's authority and looked very bad. Also - what if it had turned out to be an obviously incorrect call? How would that have looked for the UFC then? No referee could change his decision while being interviewed under those circumstances and retain any credibility at all, but being forced to defend the decision made would only make things worse.

It's all a matter of opinion though, I guess.
    Now that's an awesome post rght there.

I don't disagree with the above, but I stand by my original point "Why did Mario allow himself to be interviewed live on TV directly after the bout? that in itself reeks of unprofessional-ism"
    Gary.

Doesn't have a signature anymore

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Agree that it was a mistake. I think he was caught off guard because he wasn't expecting to have a microphone stuck in his face.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Re-watched and Rogan did bring a lot more of his own personal opinions into that interview than he should of. He can give his opnions when commentating a fight, but should be a bit more neutral/reserved when it comes to those in octagon interviews, I dont think Rogan was wrong, a lot of the blows were very questionable, but Mario done his job, warned the fighter first then stopped the fight quickly and cleanly. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I thought Yamasaki's decision according to what happened was spot on. He warned the fighter not to hit the back of the head more than once and I personally agree with this decision. Obviously its a shame that a fight ends that way but at the end of the day Yamasaki isnt a "new" referee, He has experience and refereed many fights and those are the rules. yamasaki was just doing his job.

In regards to Rogan interviewing Yamasaki...well there was no need. I think that was disrespectful to the referee!!!

The whole back of the head thing really annoys me,

I'm not sure if I understand, why is it wrong for a fighter to turn their head if they get hit, and its ok for the aggressor to carry on punching? Surely its down to them to time and pick their shots properly if their opponent does turn their head, not just say "well he turned his head".