Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the UK muay thai

not sure mate i just no he is fighting as he was down sparring at the weekend.
    Mark Platts Fly/bantamweight 10/7/0

Sean Wright best to come out of Scotland. Liam Harrison best to come out of United Kingdom. Both great to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BakedBean View Post
    I think its dogshit at the moment.

Yes there are some really tallented fighters out there but there is allot of fakers too.

I know quite a few characters who run Muay Thai clubs and have 3 or 4 belts and travel to Thailand to fight each year.
    The reality is that they bought their titles in Thailand and only fight locals who throw fights and spend most of the time sleeping with whores.

If a real Muay Thai guy challanges them (and it happens allot) they shit their pants and make excuses.

Worth noting that Muay Thai is not the only combat sport guilty of this!

to be fair buying your title is far easier and spending your time sleeping with whores is always fun! LOL
    Dan 'Vybz' Welsh 63Kg Pro 11-25-0 danwelsh86@gmail.com

Yes there are some really tallented fighters out there but there is allot of fakers too.

I know quite a few characters who run Muay Thai clubs and have 3 or 4 belts and travel to Thailand to fight each year.
    The reality is that they bought their titles in Thailand and only fight locals who throw fights and spend most of the time sleeping with whores.

If a real Muay Thai guy challanges them (and it happens allot) they shit their pants and make excuses.
    What clubs are these?

the elite gyms definately dont buy there titles when there fighting again guys like sanchai bukaw yod and alot of other top level guys! but there does seem to be alot of different titles floating about!

sean wright has sick muay thai he looked good on the contender!
    Also the uk has some really big names coming through with gyms at such a high level as bad company and other gyms at that level!
    Allegiance MMA fight team

That's complete and utter dog shit. UK Muay Thai is probably healthier now than it has ever been. We have world class Muay Thai fighters and there are more gyms and more shows than there has ever been.

I've training (no more) and following UK muay thai for over 20 years and whilst I agree there are some charlatans running clubs, the UK Muay Thai scene as a whole is very healthy.

The fact you class it as 'dog shit' proves you know very little about UK Muay Thai.

Steven Wakeling
    Liam Harrison
    Jordan Watson
    Dean James
    Andy Howson
    Tim Thomas
    Andy Thrasher
    Julie Kitchen
    Iman Barlow

The above are just a few genuinely world class fighters in UK Muay Thai.

To be honest it really depends what is meant by UK Muay Thai?

I agree that the list above are super examples of good fighters who fight out of the UK, however most of these spend alot if not more time in Thailand than they do training in the UK. This is one of the main reasons they are at the level they are today.

If you take a look at fighters who are solely from the UK and compare them to the above or other highly decorated fighters around the world they are shocking!

There are a hand full of decent gyms in the UK and these said gyms usually or have at some point had Thai trainers over.

I agree there are more gyms and shows now than ever before but look at the standard. Most of them are poor, as they are in MMA. Just because there is more of something doesnt mean the sport is progressing.

And there are certainly quite a few people who own clubs or teach who do strectch the truth and are dishonest about what they have accomplished.

So i do agree as a whole the UK Muay Thai scene is pretty poor at them moment. Obviously this does not take away the massive talent above. Liam and Jordan are without a doubt the best to come out of the UK for a lonhg time. Both trained from being young boys and with the help of Richard Smith and many Thai influences have achieved great things

Hope nobody cries, its just an opinion lol

It only an 'opinion, but it's blatantly wrong and ill informed.

I can tell you for a fact that none of the above spend more time training in Thailand than they do in the UK.

I have followed UK Muay thai for over 23 years and can tell you that we have more strength in depth now than we ever had.

Thanks for the 'Fact' however I said and quote 'most of these spend alot if not more time in Thailand' which is true. Maybe not more but certainly alot. And that also is a fact. I also mention the fact that although not in Thailand, a few gyms have Thai trainers over. This also is a fact!

So I strongly disagree that I am wrong or ill informed, but thanks for your opinion

I appreciate you may have followed the sport for 23 years and are obviously very passionate about the sport, as am I, but this doesnt change the facts. In you last sentance you have stated 'can tell you that we have more strengh in depth now than we ever had.' I didnt say weather we were better or worse off. Simply the current state.