Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10pm Chan 4 Tonight (Thurs 19th) Gypsy Blood - True Stories

Default 10pm Chan 4 Tonight (Thurs 19th) Gypsy Blood - True Stories

Tonight 10pm Channel 4, a film by Leo Maguire that I had the pleasure of working.

Gypsy Blood examines the violent culture that some gypsy and traveller fathers hand on to their sons, exploring its impact on two fathers and their young sons

Filmed over two years by award-winning photographer Leo Maguire, Gypsy Blood examines the violent culture that some gypsy and traveller fathers hand on to their sons.

The film is an intimate portrait of two gypsy families, their fight for respect and the price they pay in cycles of revenge that can erupt into sudden and terrifying violence.

The Dohertys are Irish Traveller royalty. While Hughie Doherty, 27, becomes embroiled in a fight to defend his family's name, his seven-year-old son Francie is caught between two worlds, learning to read at primary school while learning to fight with his fists at home.

Fred Butcher is Romany but torn between the gypsy fighting tradition and his love as a father. His nine-year-old son, Freddy Cole, is terrified his father will be badly hurt in a fight. The film follows the story of how Fred nearly dies in a machete attack as a day of drinking and sparring goes terribly wrong.

Gypsy Blood is a haunting study of masculinity, violence and the uneasy relationship gypsy and traveller men have with their bare-knuckle traditions, and an insight into people living amongst a wider society but sometimes with values that are a world apart.

Gyspy Blood is part of True Stories, which commissions and showcases the best feature-length documentaries.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...aphy?fb=optOut

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/n8...TG1b0.facebook

Fred invited me along to a fight. We drove to a place near Cheltenham and met up with the opposition. The fight itself was pretty uneventful, but afterwards everyone went to the pub. As more alcohol was consumed, things got out of hand. Eventually, we found ourselves at a Gypsy site. At midnight, things suddenly turned ugly. A man brandishing a machete attacked Fred, who retaliated with one hard punch, knocking him out. Soon Fred was on the floor, too, being beaten by a group of men.

When they ran off to get other weapons, I put Fred in my car and got us the hell out of there as quickly as I could. I took this shot in the hospital car park. Fred was checking his teeth in the mirror, then he stopped and looked at me. He felt embarrassed that I should see him like that. It was as if he was saying: "Look at what you've got yourself into. This is the life that we lead."

it was funny,

shit fighters depend more on intimidation to win

surprised we dont see gyspy's at many mma events

do they fight mma or is it all intimidation followed with shit boxing ?
    Joey Essex is my hero, he's Reem.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReem View Post
    it was funny,

shit fighters depend more on intimidation to win

surprised we dont see gyspy's at many mma events

do they fight mma or is it all intimidation followed with shit boxing ?
    John Maguire doesn't seem to be doing too badly with his "intimidation and shit boxing"

Quote Originally Posted by renzotiger View Post
    John Maguire doesn't seem to be doing too badly with his "intimidation and shit boxing"
    Beat me to it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by renzotiger View Post
    is John a gypsy ?

a real " gypsy blood gypsy " ?

was he brought up in a caravan on site ?

just curious not starting anything genuine question

John is the founder of Gypsy Jui Jitsu.

^^^^^^^ ha ha ha ha ha ^^^^^^^

very cool.

does gypsy jitsu only happen in caravans ?

Surprised that no one has picked up on the kids knocking 10 bells of shit out of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    Surprised that no one has picked up on the kids knocking 10 bells of shit out of each other.
    yeah i thought that. if the press thought the lids cage fighting was bad, im suprised they havent been all over this.

@OP. did you film it then?