Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee injuries

Hybrid View

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Default Knee injuries

By popular demand - part 1 of a series of blogs on knee injuries in MMA and BJJ.

http://combatsportsclinic.com/2012/0...juries-part-1/
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Nice write up Rosi and considering I've just done my MCL in, great timing too.

Looking forward to the rest of it.

I look forward to reading this. I had a partial medial menisectomy last year on my right knee and will be seeing a consultant next week about my left. The last time my knee locked completely and I couldnt get it any straighter than a 90 degree bend prior to the surgery so was left on crutches for five weeks. This time I can walk etc so im worried i'm going to be out longer if surgery is required and I need to go on a list knees suck....

Perfect timing, my knee has been killing me for a couple of weeks now. I imagine this is one of those things I should see a doctor about but ah well..

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by BWFC View Post
    Perfect timing, my knee has been killing me for a couple of weeks now. I imagine this is one of those things I should see a doctor about but ah well..
    Possibly. Or you could give me a shout if you're in Manchester any time...

Hi Rosi, A quick question if you don't mind. I have searched quite a lot on it and can't seem to find an answer. I had a large part of my meniscus (the nurses said it was a lot), removed in one of my knees in July, I was back training pretty quick so didn't go to my follow up appointment, and have fought a few times since then, but it still gives me the odd bit of grief every now and then... nothing major, just the occasional grinding feeling or uncomfortable sensations especially after intensive training (specifically training that bears a load on my legs). Is this normal ?

Thank you

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

It's not uncommon, but it shouldn't be seen as "normal".

Unfortunately, rehabilitation often seems to get neglected after relatively "minor" operations like this, but unless you address the mechanical factors (that may have led to the problem in the first place), many people do have ongoing difficulties.

I'd definitely recommend speaking to a good sports physio, osteopath or even a knowledgeable S&C coach about putting together a good rehabilitation program.

Thanks Rosi, it happened due to an accident (also had a Lisfranc fracture) rather than as a gradual process.

I was given some exercises to do by a physio, I can't recall names but I have done a lot of stability ball stuff, stuff on half a bosu ball, one leg weighted exercises and bodyweight squats/lunges, they seem to have helped restrengthen the leg but I still have the issues I mentioned.

Smile

For those fighters who feel their knees are getting worse as they get older its worth trying pure organic apple cider vinegar with mother. My knees and big toes would be sore after training also when id bend my knees somewhere quiet i could hear a catalogue of loud noises cracking,popping etc. Thinking this was mild gout i came across apple cider vinegar stating it helps against calcium cystals deposits in the joints which act like sharp glass in your joints causing Inflammation/pain.
    After taking 30ml daily for a month the pain went away after training but i can still hear my knees cracking etc but not half as much.
    Remember you shouldnt supplement with calcium if you have a sound diet or your have a surplus amount in your body, just vitamia D3 and cod liver oil are sound supplements
    Btw the stuff tastes like shit but works for me

Interesting thread / topic

fully agree knee joint is vulnerable to injuries.

I tore my left (ACL) at a mma class, it took a good couple months to recover fully.

Strained my right knee at my 1 and only grappling comp a few months back..

iv also done 'something' to my right knee recently , it was either at the gym or a judo class im not sure, but I get pains when I straighten it after its been bent for a while, it also feels siezed / stiff during the night, and is feckin painful straghtening it? !

I dont really fancy the idea of hobbling about like a cripple when im 40! and unfortunately these daft wee injuries puts me off training / grappling..