Thread: Any tips on loosening up my arms and shoulders?

Default Any tips on loosening up my arms and shoulders?

I find that when I throw punches I'm really rigid and tense. I just can't seem to be able to loosen up my arms and shoulders and just let things flow.

Even when I'm shadow boxing everything seems really tense. I feel that I'm pulling almost every punch I throw but it's something I can't consciously stop doing.

I look at fighters like the Diaz brothers and would love to be able to feel as loose in the shoulders as they appear to be. They're not big punhcers by any means but their punches have a real sting to them and it seems to me that being able to let them loosely flow is key to that.

Are there any exercise I can try or any mental techniques that might help me relax my body a little and let the punches snap a little more?
    Last edited by hysteresis; 21-01-2012 at 08:44 PM.

How long have you been boxing/training for dude?

Try and loosen up your guard and lower your hands into more functional positions. Lots of people seem to have rudimentary rigid guards, go to a boxing gym and it is very fluid and relaxed. Focus more on your speed and timing, don't bother with the power that will arrive on the end of a fast punch.

Might sound stupid, but if I do not feel loose enough I always keep on the spot and loosen my guard for a while. Once you start moving around and throwing shots like that you won't be all tensed up standing there like some people do.

Try focus on getting your hands back to their starting position as fast as possible, forget the power just snap them out and back to guard. Rather than tense up and throw something reasonably hard and under extend your punch to try and get it back. You don't need that.

Stop concentrating on it, also don't over think it. Bob around, loosen your whole body up and have fun with it.
    Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Young Sexton View Post
    How long have you been boxing/training for dude?
    Not long, a couple of months. But I've been injured a while during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchoo View Post
    Try and loosen up your guard and lower your hands into more functional positions. Lots of people seem to have rudimentary rigid guards, go to a boxing gym and it is very fluid and relaxed. Focus more on your speed and timing, don't bother with the power that will arrive on the end of a fast punch.

Might sound stupid, but if I do not feel loose enough I always keep on the spot and loosen my guard for a while. Once you start moving around and throwing shots like that you won't be all tensed up standing there like some people do.

Try focus on getting your hands back to their starting position as fast as possible, forget the power just snap them out and back to guard. Rather than tense up and throw something reasonably hard and under extend your punch to try and get it back. You don't need that.

Stop concentrating on it, also don't over think it. Bob around, loosen your whole body up and have fun with it.
    You make a lot of sense there. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by hysteresis View Post
    Not long, a couple of months. But I've been injured a while during that time.
    People who are new to boxing tend to be more tense, getting loose will come to you over time when you learn to relax more and going down the gym becomes second nature. As Mattchoo said, try and chill out and enjoy yourself.

When you're on the bag/pads work on technique rather then trying to throw big and fast shots. If you want to learn how to box rather then the fitness side there's no need to go in the gym and bash the bags as hard as you can for 12 rounds. Keep your fitness seperate. If you haven't got a coach with you telling you what to do, plan in your head before the round something you're going to work on rather then just throwing random punches.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Sexton View Post
    When you're on the bag/pads work on technique rather then trying to throw big and fast shots. If you want to learn how to box rather then the fitness side there's no need to go in the gym and bash the bags as hard as you can for 12 rounds. Keep your fitness seperate. If you haven't got a coach with you telling you what to do, plan in your head before the round something you're going to work on rather then just throwing random punches.
    Definitely this! I know some people who will literally do rounds upon rounds throwing:

jab. RESET: jab, cross.

jab. RESET: double jab RESET double jab right cross

Just doing that over and over, suffice to say his jab is like lightnight and his timing is bang on point. He also does this on floor - ceiling bags at a high pace. Basics win you fights!
    Ninja

Ok thanks guys. I think I'm just going to take time off from the heavy bag and just do some work on the floor to ceiling bag along with a little gentle padwork, if there is such a thing haha!

you need to get your pecs released from my experience your pec minor/major is a big problem with shoulders in boxers sports massage or stretches can fix this
    Joey Essex is my hero, he's Reem.