Thread: Training with heavy guys, good or bad?

Default Training with heavy guys, good or bad?

I would like some ideas off fighters if training with guys much heavier than you has advantages or disadvantages.
    I am 65 kgs and only a couple of our club guys are 70 kgs and the rest are 80 kgs plus. I tend to get just thrown about alot but when I do find someone nearer my size its so much easier. Your input please.
    Mike "the mic" Persil

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

I like training with a range of weights and skill levels personally, it allows technique to develop as well as relying on strength
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Mix it up.
    Im 76kg, and train with a real mix of other weights... Most guys who I train with range from 80 up to 100+ with only 2 that are my weight or under.

I find when training with the heavier guys, it focuses my game so I economise my strength and movement better, focuses being explosive in the right places and the right times and makes me rely on technique over strength!

You have to work out your weak positions and escapes from bottom positions when sparring with heavier guys, especially when they are 100kg+! Helps me to develop attack game plans so I get in a favourable position instead of ending up underneath a big weight...

I have similar issues as im 64kg, Its good to grapple and spar with all sizes and conditioning wise your always working hard against a larger opponent. But you cannot replicate the hand speed, kicks, transitions, shoots etc of someone your weight without sparring a 66 or 61kg fighter.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Good and bad.

Pros: (1) you learn good technique, because you can't brute force anything; (2) psychological - you're used to training with strong people, so you feel confident going into a fight against someone your size. Sometimes it feels easier when you switch to training with someone your size (although when it comes to actual competition, that's less often the case than you might think - see point 3 below.

Cons: (1) High risk of injury - whenever your training partner screws up, it's the lighter guy who generally pays for it. (2) You can end up being very defensive, and your attacking game suffers. (3) Often, the bigger guy won't really go at you the same way he would with someone his size (and if he does, see point 1). Someone bigger and stronger who is taking it easy is a very different animal from someone your size trying to pull your arms and legs off. This can sometimes lead to a false sense of confidence. (4) As someone mentioned above, heavier fighters fight very differently from lighter fighters.

Overall, I find that I learn most when I stick to sparring guys / girls who are around my size.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Think Rosi summed this up very well !
    S&C Made Easy: http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/ twitter @brendanchaplin

its also not good as you go into a fight to constantly get put on your back and feel "weak" or light. you sometimes need the confidence of feeling strong. always being on the defensive can sometimes be counterproductive. obvioulsy not all big guys will be better than you but weight does play a factor.

Thanks guys good thread
    S&C Made Easy: http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/ twitter @brendanchaplin