Thread: Diet Planner

Default Diet Planner

Hi guys, looking for some help and advice.

At the moment I train twice a week, each session is 1.5 hours. I also only get to spar for an hour once every other week due to work commitments.

Now when I am at training I work as hard as I possibly can and really enjoy it. However I have a trade off as I my diet is pretty shit. I tell myself that I can enjoy the shit food I want as I work hard at training.

When I started training I was 5 8" and about 195lb. I dropped weight, to around 170lb and became a lot fitter. Then as my training continued I settled at a weight of 180lb but I feel healthy which was my main factor for starting training.

At the moment I train with a group called Crazy Monkey on the Isle of Man. I have been training for about a year now. We train primarily for self preservation as a functional martial art. I am gonna be moving back to England, Surrey, in May and want to start training full MMA at a gym with the end goal being able to compete in time.

So with my goals now changing from fitness to competition I really want to sort my diet out and herein lies the problem. I literally have no idea where to start. So was hoping some of you guys could help me out and point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for ideas of what and when to eat. Things I can eat for breakfast, snacks during the day, lunch, tea, pre and post training foods, etc. Anything like that would be great. Any tips on what foods to avoid as well would be helpful too.

Sorry for the long winded post and sorry if I sound like a bit of a noob, but in reality when it comes to a correct diet I'm clueless.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Awkward_Onion View Post
    Hi guys, looking for some help and advice.

At the moment I train twice a week, each session is 1.5 hours. I also only get to spar for an hour once every other week due to work commitments.

Now when I am at training I work as hard as I possibly can and really enjoy it. However I have a trade off as I my diet is pretty shit. I tell myself that I can enjoy the shit food I want as I work hard at training.

When I started training I was 5 8" and about 195lb. I dropped weight, to around 170lb and became a lot fitter. Then as my training continued I settled at a weight of 180lb but I feel healthy which was my main factor for starting training.

At the moment I train with a group called Crazy Monkey on the Isle of Man. I have been training for about a year now. We train primarily for self preservation as a functional martial art. I am gonna be moving back to England, Surrey, in May and want to start training full MMA at a gym with the end goal being able to compete in time.

So with my goals now changing from fitness to competition I really want to sort my diet out and herein lies the problem. I literally have no idea where to start. So was hoping some of you guys could help me out and point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for ideas of what and when to eat. Things I can eat for breakfast, snacks during the day, lunch, tea, pre and post training foods, etc. Anything like that would be great. Any tips on what foods to avoid as well would be helpful too.

Sorry for the long winded post and sorry if I sound like a bit of a noob, but in reality when it comes to a correct diet I'm clueless.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips.
    I am an expirienced nutritionist and master personal trainer. I'm a pro MMA fighter 6-1-0, diet is a massive part of my training. I provide online training and nutritional plans,

stephenokeeffe1@me.com

Hi mate, I am by no means an expert. But I started training around a year ago and I have lost 3 stone. So heres what I do.........

eat every 3 hours a meal about the same size as your hand. stick with low GI carbs (brown rice, sweet potato, porridge etc), High GI Carbs (white rice, white bread, ordinary corn flakes etc) cause your body to have an insulin spike which makes you store fat.

Try only eating your low GI carbs with breakfast and around training times. The rest of the time stick with protein (fish, chicken, beef) and veg or salad. Dont be afraid to eat healthy fats (oily fish, nuts, olive oil) as these are very good for burning fat, helping your joints stay healthy and building muscle. Be very careful with sauces etc, some of them even though they look healthy have alot of calories. Get into the habit of looking at calories on everything you eat (try and aim for around 2000 calories a day). There are plenty of ideas on the internet to keep healthy food interesting so get googling!

An example of my diet and training........

6.30 AM - wake up, no food only black coffee and then hill sprints.

7.30 AM - porridge oats with skimmed milk, sugarfree jam or any fruit and a whey isolate protein shake - or if I'm in a rush 1 slice of wholemeal toast with slices of banana and organic peanut butter.

10.30 AM - bag of spinach or some form of salad with either a tin of mackerel in spicy tomato sauce or if your work dont allow you to prepare food, another protein shake with water.

1.30 PM - some form of lean protein (chicken breast, white fish etc) with either salad or a non cream based bowl of soup.

4.30 PM - if you can prepare food whilst at work, 3 ryvitas with cottage cheese and an apple, if not then a protein shake again and a couple of wholegrain rice cakes.

6.30 PM - train (protein shake and a banana immediately after training if possible)

9.30 PM - fillet steak (or rump with the fat cut off) and veg of your choice.

Like I said I'm not an expert but thats whats worked for me. If you want more info feel free to PM me and I'll send you some links to some sites on nutrition for MMA.
    Last edited by Joe C87; 05-02-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.

Really nice talking about diet planner and also really nice above comments, guys, i also want to say something about diet planning, guys, my diet plan is so simple, i like to eat some fresh foods, like sea foods, fresh veggies, and fruits, juices ...
    This is my diet plan ...

restaurants gold coast
    Last edited by Carter04; 14-11-2012 at 07:56 AM.