Thread: Back of the head

Default Back of the head

Marc or Neil are there any photos showing the lines / areas which are classed as the back of the head ?

If not I think someone who is good with photoshop should colour code with your help
    Joey Essex is my hero, he's Reem.

I havent seen any actual photos, not sure if Marc has.
    The back of the head illegal area descriptions have changed over the years.

Someone who has never been hit at the back of the head or worked closley with people who have, may not always realise the severity of it. An illeagal strike there can completley alter the performance of the fouled fighter and totally change the advantage.

If the fouled fighter after being hit at the back of the head continues to fight on after assesments, then a 2 point deduction is definitley warranted.
    Professional MMA Referee www.mmaofficials.co.uk

thanks neil maybe marc might have photos ?

a photoshoped colour coded photo I think would answer everyones questions on the back of the head

marc ?

In short and even in the US There is discrepancy when going from state to state. Under the unified rules striking to the back of the head is a listed foul - without definition. It has been motioNed before to think of an imaginary 2" mohawk line on the back of the head, imaginary! Can you imagine calling a fight based upon the assumption that you "thought" strikes landed within half an inch inside of the "imaginary" 2inch line? Our job is hard enough without such absurdities.

There is much clearer and more unified and defined definition that I and many others always use. The headphone rule and all strikes that land within the defined area and BEHIND the headphone strap and BELOW the top of ears. [below the curvuture of the crown] are clearly a strike to the back of the head. To compound the difficulty everyones skull comes in differing shapes and sizes! there was notion toward including the two inch line above the tope of the ears and to the curve of the head - again a confusing and difficult call in the role of a referee.

If the whole of a fist lands behind an ear and to the back of the head then this is an illegal blow. If the fist, or part of is contacting the ear, however marginal then it is ok. Consideration should also be given to fighters turning to present the back of the head to an oncoming punch and this is not the same as a fighter clearly throwing to the back of the head.

It is can be a very difficult call to make in the heat of the action, especially when a fighter is in a potential fight ending flurry but he must stay controlled and be able to pick the shots so as to avoid any dispute. Another variable to consider is when a fighter is in a cross body / side position raining down hammer fists to his opponent, they may very well intending to land on the legal areas but such is thecposition and angle of the strikes that the wrist and forearm are clearly connecting with the illegal area before the fist lands. I have had this is the past and this was also happening in then recent Silva v Prater fight.

Hope this helps for now.
    Last edited by marc goddard; 27-01-2012 at 10:40 PM.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

All the Referees I know follow the ruling there that Marc has described as/for the back of the head.
    It is difficult at times to police this, but as Referees we can only act on what we see at the exact time of any incident according to the rules set we have.
    Professional MMA Referee www.mmaofficials.co.uk

Default Back of head

Illegal striking back of head.JPG

Please check the above picture, this is what I use when reffing fights.

Marc & Neil would you agree?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bass Singh; 27-01-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Singh View Post

Thanks
    Appears that this is the new ruling..
    Last edited by DeanoW; 20-06-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    REFEREE with MMA Officials

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Singh View Post

Thanks
    so this is it ? this is the back of the head as per the rules ?

if so I am now very clear and this was a great help

So basically from the crown of the head, down a 2inch centre-line and including all of, and between, the 'eleven's' (two muscles running down the read of the neck/lower rear of skull?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimDavy View Post
    So basically from the crown of the head, down a 2inch centre-line and including all of, and between, the 'eleven's' (two muscles running down the read of the neck/lower rear of skull?
    Read Marc's post, Neil's posts.
    Last edited by DeanoW; 07-05-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    REFEREE with MMA Officials