Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The EDL what do we think of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Soreshins View Post
    for me, there are some important questions to be asked about the importance of national identity or whether we are prepared to sacrifice that for some sort of 'human' identity. However, the debate can never properly be had because, on the one side, undeducated and unreasonable bigots hoover up sensationalist headlines and, on the other side, idiotic politically correct activists prohibit legitimate questions for fear of being declared a bigot. This combination prevents any sort of reasonable discussion on the whole issue.t.

The EDL are idiots but there are some legitimate questions that they touch upon that need to be addressed at some point by people far smarter than me
    completely agree!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    National identity may not be a big deal you welsh or Scots, but to the English we're a fighting nation and have a lot of pride. Yes, we've been invaded by a lot of different countries, had a lot of wars, but that's shaped us into who we are today, and some people have a pride in that. I don't see anything wrong with someone having a pride in their country, especially the UK (which is pretty much England anyway).
    much as i respect robs point of view hes not speaking for the rest of us welsh. we have just as much pride in our nation as the english have in theirs.

and the UK is a little bit more than just england luke

National identity may not be a big deal you welsh or Scots, but to the English we're a fighting nation and have a lot of pride. Yes, we've been invaded by a lot of different countries, had a lot of wars, but that's shaped us into who we are today, and some people have a pride in that. I don't see anything wrong with someone having a pride in their country, especially the UK (which is pretty much England anyway).
    No England is country that has invaded, raped and pillaged just like the Vikings et al however this was only a few hundred years ago. They (England) exploited countries for their natural resources - India for example - in exchange for what? A railway system? England has done a lot of bad things that I'm ashamed of and I have no 'pride of what you speak when in the Victorian era they were busy invading one fifth of the world believing that they had a right to it. The go to China and demand their opium and then start a war. Same with Afganistan. Same with America. Same with Africa. Proud?
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative

Personally as an English person living in Wales the Welsh seem do have a lot more patriotism than the English people in day to day life. The problem is being patriotic seems to of been hijacked in England by numpties like the EDL.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in your country and I am very proud to be English as much as people moan here in the UK we forget just how lucky we are, people moan that the NHS is shit try living somewhere without a health service then see how shit the moaners think it is. Also we moan about the government how about living in a country where if you speak out against the governement then you could just "disapear" during the night, or if you dare to protest you get attacked by the army. Some people need to take a step back and look at what we have got.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gimp View Post
    No England is country that has invaded, raped and pillaged just like the Vikings et al however this was only a few hundred years ago. They (England) exploited countries for their natural resources - India for example - in exchange for what? A railway system? England has done a lot of bad things that I'm ashamed of and I have no 'pride of what you speak when in the Victorian era they were busy invading one fifth of the world believing that they had a right to it. The go to China and demand their opium and then start a war. Same with Afganistan. Same with America. Same with Africa. Proud?
    Couldn't agree more, we've had a shady past and it's not necessarily the England I'm proud of. However, we did fight off the Jerries in WW2, we are a nation that defends itself. On top of that England is a spiritual place with a rich culture, amazing landscapes and a vast history that dates back way before the druids and stonehenge, it's our life source. When I look at it like that I can say I'm proud to be british/english.

I would not just be proud of WW2.
    The mighty Roman Empire was the most powerful in the world. Julius Caesar notes that our Druids and warlords were always coming over to mainland Europe and causing trouble. To try and sort the problem out he invaded Britain in 55 BC and got his arse spanked by moustache wearing, ale drinking British tribal warriors.

It was nearly 100 years later before the Romans invaded again. Claudius Caesar managed to conquer the south of Britain in 43 AD. This was largely due the southern tribes happily accepting him for political gain, and the rest of the tribes being too busy fighting each other to care about the Romans.

Another great triumph is Ambrosius Aurelianus (alleged brother of Uther Pendragon), who kicked the Saxons arses back in the 5th Century.

We have great pedigree in the art of warfare. With leaders such as Henry V, Wellington, Nelson, Churchill and Jack Churchill to name just a few. This is just warfare, we also have a great pedigree for science and innovation too.

Britain is an amazing country with an amazing past that spans back to at least 11,000 BC. Had we built structures from stone rather than wood (Britain was covered in forest) and maintained written records people would see how great and complex our nation was going back into prehistory.
    Last edited by bomberh; 01-02-2012 at 10:04 PM.

England (and Britain as a whole) is awesome. Yes, we have a sketchy past but so do most countries. People are cunts regardless of where they come from. Football, Shakespeare, penicillin, the jet engine, the Beatles and the fry-up breakfast. What more do you want? And people are free to say what they want, vote for who they want, do what they want (within reason), worship who they want and fuck who they want (again, within reason). A lot of people around the world don't have the rights that we take for granted.

Actually thought at first this comment was tongue and cheek in the context of the Scottish independance issue getting so much press at the present time......then I realised it wasn't and laughed out loud. Oh dear.
    I would ban the triangle choke, the refuge of cowards everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Actually thought at first this comment was tongue and cheek in the context of the Scottish independance issue getting so much press at the present time......then I realised it wasn't and laughed out loud. Oh dear.
    Actually it kinda was.

the edl has got worse full of beer drinking hooligans! i remember seeing a picture of four black lads holding a edl flag but that was early when they had just started up! but i do think some muslims use islam etc to bend certain laws and pick and choose what they think is right in this country! but yet the countrys full of dickheads no matter what race etc its just fucked!
    Allegiance MMA fight team