Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryron Gracie to visit scotland for 2 seminars

Quote Originally Posted by JohhnieMc View Post
    Checked out the site, the guy lives in Central Scotland so don't know the story??? I suppose even if you live to far away from a legit club you could still travel once per week, fortnight or even once per month combined with training with your mates. Would be better than this garage set up I would think?
    I'm not aware of his reason for not training at an academy, there are many good ones that he could get to in theory

the point behind this thread was to raise awareness of the Gracie Seminar, regardless of peoples opinions on the gracie university, it is a big event for Scottish BJJ to have such a high level player for a seminar
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Romeoblood View Post
    I'm not aware of his reason for not training at an academy, there are many good ones that he could get to in theorythe point behind this thread was to raise awareness of the Gracie Seminar, regardless of peoples opinions on the gracie university, it is a big event for Scottish BJJ to have such a high level player for a seminar
    to possible start teaching Gracie Jiu Jitsu for self defence since Sports Jitsu is not the pure Jiu Jitsu. Yes the seminare is good and the price is great but the motive of some people doing the Gracie Uni thingy ma jig always seems dodgy when you have bjj gyms all around you.
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

He lives in Bellshill, it's not at from there to Glasgow, and even closer to Rutherglen where he could train with Scotty McVeigh who's a Royce blackbet and will cover a lot more Gracie type stuff than one of the sports BJJ based academies.

How does a newb differentiate between a sports based bjj academy and another type of academy?

Quote Originally Posted by Romeoblood View Post
    I'm not aware of his reason for not training at an academy, there are many good ones that he could get to in theory

the point behind this thread was to raise awareness of the Gracie Seminar, regardless of peoples opinions on the gracie university, it is a big event for Scottish BJJ to have such a high level player for a seminar
    I think the reason for some people not supporting this seminar is they are against the type of training that the organising does (Gracie University) I'm not saying this is right..I can see both sides...Great job bringing Ralek to Scotland..great opportunity to train with a top guy especially if you train less sport bjj more self defence but....no matter who the seminar is with some people just won't support a seminar run by a Gracie Garage leader! It would be interesting to hear the guys point of view?

I don't understand why he does not train at an academy? He only lives in Bellshill, which is close to the M74 I believe.

I have been unemployed since last year, but I can still train at the Griphouse now and again. I am not as good as I was when I was working last year, but some training is better than none.

Even when I was working for one of Arnold Clark's BMW dealers for fuck all, and could not make the classes due to long distance driving. If I got paid for the work I did, then I could have still got some 1 to 1's when I had some free time.

As for the seminar, I would go if I had the cash.
    58KG (126 lbs) Wuss, the same weight as my 13 year old nephew.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    What does Marcos Nardini think of someone who trains under him getting a blue belt online?
    Eh? Whits this?
    Rob McCrum, Pro BW. www.bjjscotland.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by staffie View Post
    Eh? Whits this?
    Read the whole thread. Someone said he also trained with Marcos, but it turned out that wasn't true.

Ok, just noticed that the original claim has been edited out of the post so you wouldn't be able to read it.
    Last edited by Rob T; 17-02-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by JohhnieMc View Post
    I think the reason for some people not supporting this seminar is they are against the type of training that the organising does (Gracie University) I'm not saying this is right..I can see both sides...Great job bringing Ralek to Scotland..great opportunity to train with a top guy especially if you train less sport bjj more self defence but....no matter who the seminar is with some people just won't support a seminar run by a Gracie Garage leader! It would be interesting to hear the guys point of view?
    Correct. Why would anyone want to support something that gets people 'promoted' faster by doing online shit than someone who is training their arse off three or four times a week in a real club.

I know the guy who runs Gracie garage and he trains a number of other martial arts around glasgow (Karate, traditional ju jitsu) and have trained with him previously. No Idea why he chooses to grade online and train in his garage.