Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone trained judo in Japan?

Default Anyone trained judo in Japan?

Any recommendations as to clubs?

I'm in Tokyo training now. You cant just turn up at a dojo and play, you have to be introduced and invited before they will normally let you through the door! Most of the best dojo are university, police or corporate ones.
    A few good dojos include Tsukuba uni (good if your a lightweight), Tokai uni (most famous and good for middle heavy guys), Meiji uni (Heavier guys), also the police dojo here is absolutely brutal!
    Two exceptions that I know of to this rule are:
    1) Machi dojo, these are local dojo that will sometimes allow gaijin, one good one I have been to is Chiyoda Sports club. A very strong practice.
    2) The Kodokan. Randori mon-fri 6pm-8pm and 5-7pm on a Saturday. A very strong class (especially Wednesdays).

Just turn up to the Kodokan in your BJJ gi with your blue belt and stripes and shout "NE-WAZA-NE-WAZA!" while mimicking a RNC. They will let you on the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post
    Just turn up to the Kodokan in your BJJ gi with your blue belt and stripes and shout "NE-WAZA-NE-WAZA!" while mimicking a RNC. They will let you on the mat.
    but may not let you off the mat!

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post
    lol would love to see this.

Akira B please drop me an email and I'll try and help - mark.pickering@britishjudo.org.uk

JudoPossum I'd be very interested in hearing more about your time in Japan. Do you have a blog?
    For 5% off your MyProtein order use discount code MP12275

Hi Mark, unfortunately not. But anything you would like to ask please feel free!

Who are you out there with? A British delegation will be out there in March ahead of the Euro Champs.
    For 5% off your MyProtein order use discount code MP12275

ttt for some more insights into Judo training in Japan (blogs, etc.)!
    This is one thing I wish I had done over the years...
    Regards,
    David Webb
    The Tokon Academy
    http://www.tokonacademy.com
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Judo - Submission Wrestling
    -------------------
    KombatClinic.com
    http://www.kombatclinic.com
    Your online digital magazine dedicated to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo & Submission Grappling

I wish i could get Judo Jim Warren to write about the training camps he attended at the Kodokan and behind the Iron Curtain before it fell.Some of his stories are amazing.