Thread: Shoulder injury

Default Shoulder injury

Hi Rosi, first of all I think you should be commended for giving up your time and helping us all out by posting in this forum, so thank you!

About 6 months ago whilst I was in the gym doing a set of snatches, I hurt my left shoulder. It happened when I pulled the weight up to my chest and tried to transition to pressing overhead. I had a week or so break from lifting weights and it felt like it was healing so got back to the gym. It was still a bit painful but I could train on it.

now 6 months on Im at a point where it only hurts if I move my arm through a certain range of motion. For example at training earlier we were drilling kimuras for a warm up and even when the the lock isn't fullly on and we're just going through the motions it was alot more painful than it should have been.

The pain is at the front of my shoulder blade, any ideas? Am I better off going straight too a GP or trying a sports massage first?

Once again thank you, I'd really appreciate your feedback!
    Last edited by Joe C87; 12-02-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.

hello mate,
    couple of possibilities.does sound like rotator cuff cuff damage however if its just been a little bit trauma could have set off some kinda inflammatory response where you would get impingement,this is where basically the shoulder joint space is small due to the inflammation. best off seeing a physio to confirm,theyll rule out any serious damage.My shoulder is the same,but hey if ye dont rest it wont ever heal its too tough not o I understand

thanks for the response dude, It did cross my mind it must be a rotator cuff injury. Gonna go see the GP I reckon!

Having suffered rotator cuff injuries myself it's quite easy to find out if u've got an injury.

If the area where the rotator cuff is very tender/or u r in excruiating pain when u press it with your finger chances are you have pulled/damaged something.

I would recommend going to see a decent sports masseue who has got the strength to "dig in" and help release/ease the rotator cuff injury.

Rotator cuff injuries very common from bench press/shoulder press movements.

I would also get a 2kg dumbell or similar and do this exercise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipxAQgbJ1F0

Every time I bench or shoulder press I do this exercise to now prevent mine flaring up.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Hi Joe

There are a few things that could be going on with the shoulder. It's likely there's some rotator cuff involvement, but I'd advise going to someone who can do a full assessment and give you a proper diagnosis first and foremost. A good osteopath or sports physiotherapist should be able to help. With some shoulder problems, sports massage can be very useful, but it depends on the experience and qualifications of the masseur. I'd also look for a good rehabilitation program.

Your GP doesn't usually have many options when dealing with this kind of injury. Depending on how bad it is, and how the GP assesses it, you'll probably be looking at (1) advice to rest and/or painkillers; (2) a referral to a physiotherapist (probably with a waiting list) and/or (3) a referral to a consultant for imaging and further assessment (again, expect a wait).

Personally, I'd be looking for a good professional I could see privately. Hope this helps!
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    Hi Joe

There are a few things that could be going on with the shoulder. It's likely there's some rotator cuff involvement, but I'd advise going to someone who can do a full assessment and give you a proper diagnosis first and foremost. A good osteopath or sports physiotherapist should be able to help. With some shoulder problems, sports massage can be very useful, but it depends on the experience and qualifications of the masseur. I'd also look for a good rehabilitation program.

Your GP doesn't usually have many options when dealing with this kind of injury. Depending on how bad it is, and how the GP assesses it, you'll probably be looking at (1) advice to rest and/or painkillers; (2) a referral to a physiotherapist (probably with a waiting list) and/or (3) a referral to a consultant for imaging and further assessment (again, expect a wait).

Personally, I'd be looking for a good professional I could see privately. Hope this helps!
    Thanks Rosi! I shall have a look round Bristol tomorrow!

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

If you're in Bristol, I can strongly recommend this guy: http://www.thecarterpractice.co.uk/

I trained with him, and he was excellent with shoulders back then.

having problems with my shoulder also, if anyone wants to recomend anywhere in manchester/stockport it would be greatly appreciated.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by THE MOSS View Post
    having problems with my shoulder also, if anyone wants to recomend anywhere in manchester/stockport it would be greatly appreciated.
    Me!

Just give me a shout by PM if you'd like to arrange an appointment sometime. I seem to be seeing a lot of shoulders recently!