Thread: Open mat sessions

Default Open mat sessions

How popular are these at your academy and is it mainly the advanced students who attend them?

When i first started i went along and learnt alot from open mat sessions, just depends whos there and if their willing to share their secrets.

Any mat time is good mat time!
    "Death and pain are just a small price to pay for the enjoyment of battle!"

My cat's name is Mittens ralphylad's Avatar

We run them they go down very well, attracts all levels. We normally have two or three blues down and just share ideas, roll and these are cheaper so you can just get away from the wife for a few hours heheh
    "I honestly can't even remember my old signature, so I'll have this one"

It all depends on the people on the mat. I have learned more from open mat sessions than many lessons. I've also walked into some open mats where it's been like walking into a wild west saloon where strangers are obviously not welcome lol.

we have them now, i just roll or grab someone and drill whatever technique i'm working on at the time
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Our open mat classes are very popular with Beginners with at least three months of Brazilian jiu jitsu experience and blue belts and above. Classes will include a warm up, and possible technique review, but will primarily focus on jiu jitsu sparing (like an open mat with a warm up and a theme)
    "Scotlands Biggest Brazilian jiu jitsu academy"

The scheduled open mat sessions at the Griphouse are really popular, always a good bunch of guys of all different levels there, white, blue, purples and brown as well as visiting black belts.

People should take advantage fo them to pick the more expierenced guys brains and share knowledge

Open mat sessions are good but I think it's important to either just keep them to sparring/drilling (stuff previously taught in class, not from YouTube videos!) only or have a high level belt there... otherwise you end up with lower level guys teaching shitty techniques to total newbs.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

We hold them every couple of weeks at the Pedro Bessa academies through Wales. Pedro holds them in Bristol too. Good chance to catch up with the wider team, roll with different people etc.

Our guys regularly go to Gracie barra preston and lagartos academy for open mats great to roll with fellow team members.
    "Scotlands Biggest Brazilian jiu jitsu academy"