Thread: A case of Bigknee

Default A case of Bigknee

I've been impressed by the responses here on the injured room, and I thought I'd ask if anyone has had experience the problem I'm currently afflicted with.

I woke up on Monday to find my left knee was swollen and red. It was sore to extend fully or bend at all. I hadn't exercised at all on Sunday, and I didn't bump into anything.

I've tried resting it for a few days and applying ice and taking ibuprofen. The pain has subsided now, but the swelling hasn't.

My GP sent me for some blood tests, and I'm waiting two weeks for the tests to return. If anyone has any idea of what the problem could be, or how to deal with it while I wait for the test results, I'd love to hear.

Here's a picture. I included my normal, attractive knee in the shot for comparison.

http://imgur.com/nYLda

Could be bursitis, if so smother it with ibuprofen gel twice daily, elevate it when resting, avoid impact on it & if you can get one over it without pain, wear a knee pad just in case.

Thanks for your advice.

I phoned up my GP's office again today, and it turns out that they already had the results. There's no infection, and it's not gout, which is what he suspected last time.

So I'll keep it covered and smothered like you suggested, and I'll ice it when I can.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Sounds like it's under control, but keep an eye on it. If it gets any worse, then don't be afraid to go back for a second opinion. Look out especially for the red swollen area increasing in size, or the joint becoming more stiff or sore. If it starts getting worse rapidly, then don't wait to see your doctor - get yourself to A&E.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Also - was it a simple blood test, or have they done any testing of the joint fluid itself? As I understand it, blood tests alone don't always pick up infections within the joint (in fact, may do so only around 50% of the time).

This may be helpful: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0701/p83.html
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Sounds odd, but you haven't got any other chronic medical conditions have you?

My knee swelled up and put me on crutches for 6 weeks over the summer (still having issues with it now). Had no idea where it came from but turned out to be related to my other chronic condition of Ulcerative Colitis (which ususally just affects my bowel area).

If you have anything else, even if it seems like it should not be related, always mention it.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Thanks for the all the info and private messages, everyone.

> Rosi
    Thanks, Rosi. It hasn't got any better or worse since last monday. The only time it feels sore is when I try to touch my heel to my bum. My knee often clicks when I fully straighten my leg.

I think the two blood tests were measuring uric acid levels and white blood cell count. They took the blood from my arm and I haven't had my knee fluid tested.

>Emmet
    Thanks, Emmet. I've never had a serious medical condition before, so I don't know of anything that my knee problem could be related to.

My GP recommended that I get an Xray this week, and if that's inconclusive, we'll do an MRI scan.