Thread: Privates for beginners?

Default Privates for beginners?

If money is no object then I'm sure they're fine but are they a bit of a waste of money for a beginner? What are the sort of things that a beginner really needs to nail first that privates might help?

Excellent idea for beginners imo. Instructor should lead the sessions, beginners don't know what they need to learn. First session will cover off basic movements, escapes etc. Then depending how many sessions they're gonna do, cover off principles of each basic position.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Excellent idea for beginners imo. Instructor should lead the sessions, beginners don't know what they need to learn. First session will cover off basic movements, escapes etc. Then depending how many sessions they're gonna do, cover off principles of each basic position.
    Completely agree. the difference is very much noticeable.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

I could swear I was having a djv moment. Here's a prev thread on the subject with some good pointers:

http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/s...-for-beginners
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

While at my old gym i started having private lessons with another instuctor from a diffrent club as i just felt my BJJ was not improving. After a few private lessons it was clear that my old trainer had no where near as much knowledge as the instuctor i was having private lessons had. By having started private lessons this helped me see that to improve i would have to swap clubs which i did. I attend all the normal school BJJ lessons but still have a private lesson once a week and this has been ongoing since last September. I still have the private lessons as i help me work on moves that i have struggled with during the class and all so when i am rolling with my instructor he can point out things i am doing wrong and help me correct them. It costs me 35 pound a week just for my private lesson but my BJJ has improved so much i feel it is worth paying the money for the private lessons.
    A Black belt is just a White Belt that never quits

How did you explain it to your first instructor when you left?

That can't be an easy decision to make.

At my old club we had 2 instructors one who covered all the stand up side of MMA and another who was our grappling coach. Due to other work commitments our grappling instructor was teaching less and less. When i started my private lesson at my new club the first thing i did was tell both instructors at my old club and the reasons why. I was planning at the time to still train at my old club but as the weeks past i realized that i was not beaning shown the correct way to perform a sub and that we was not drilling the moves.
    I.E we would be shown say a arm bar from the mount drill it for 5 mins and then maybe not practices the same move for another few months. I went back and explained to my instructor how i felt for my own personal development it was best that i move clubs and all so it was unfair for me to train at two clubs and not make a commitment to one. My instructor was cool with this, while he may not of been happy that i left i did not do anything behind his back. I still visit my old club and my little girl goes to there tiger cub class so their is no ill feeling. I now train at TSG with Dan Burzotta and while i miss my old team mate i am loving every second of training with Dan.
    A Black belt is just a White Belt that never quits