Brand new to the forum . I just was wondering what you guys think of joint supplements and which ones in particular (if any) are worthwhile.
I see an osteopath and I definitely feel that this keeps me mobile. She has helped me rehabilitate a few injuries picked up through MMA training.
Currently I have a bad elbow (if you're curious - my wrist was twisted in a kimura, which took the strain into the elbow rather than shoulder and it popped rather nastily). It's been getting better but nonetheless it got me thinking about supplements for general joint health (maybe injury prevention ).
The main ones and their (purported) effects seem to be:
- Glucosamine (helps prevent cartilage degeneration)
- Chondroitin (also for cartilage - increases resistance to compression, anti-inflammatory effects)
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) (prescribed to prevent arthritis, but not particularly well understood!)
- Collagen (good for cartilage)
- Omega 3 (helps prevent arthritis - anti inflammatory effects)
- Harpagophytum (Devil's Claw) (herbal medicine with anti inflammatory and other effects that are not well understood)
I get omegas through my diet and I do take Udos oil as it seems to be good for my energy levels and recovery (though like anything can't be sure it's not a bit of a placebo). There are lots of combination supplements of the above available in various forms, but to take all of them would be quite expensive (and probably unnecessary).
As an aside, I do believe the benefit of most of these to be relatively small, but anything that helps is a plus!
Thanks in advance.
PS @Rosi, supplements might make a nice mini-series for your blog as I'm sure a lot of martial artists would be interested in your thoughts .