Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What weight to fight at?

Default What weight to fight at?

What weight would you recommend to fight at it your walk around weight is around 76kg?

If you are normal height & build and in reasonable shape I would say FW or LW depending on how much excess fat you are carrying now, if you are 5ft 1 and a fat 76kg then you could prob make Flyweight!

If this where Facebook i'd 'like' above comment... Really excess fat is the thing that determines best weight class. Someone forgot to tell Roy Nelson that and he has beat up the likes of Stefan Struve so your skill level means alot as well.

Personally I'd look at some of the best fighters shape and go with getting yourself as close to whoever has similar frame and/or a body type you'd like to achieve before fighting. Your skill level and style of fighting should determine your choice.

Striker = Tall and Rangy (Unless you got bombs on hands which a bit of muscle would be great)
    Wrestler = Muscle
    BJJ = Not so important, you'll suit your own BJJ around your own body type.

Average height of guys in certain weight class is only important if you have troubles with taller fighters etc.

I only weigh 54kg i need to put on at least 3kg to compete but i aint into weight lifting saying that i can bench press 60kg x7

and im 5ft6.5

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Why do you NEED to put 3kg on? Also how old are you?

Why don't you like lifting weights? A sensible functional weights programme would likely help your MMA tbh, might be worth looking into a good strength and conditioning programme, you will likely put good size on then
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Im 22 mate i use to box at 54kg but i been told the minimum starting weight for uk mma is 57kg is that not correct then

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Mate people be fighting at mental weights, saw some for like 61.25Kg and shit. See if you can get matched up, but as I said some functional lifting will help your MMA, especially wrestling and clinch work, is there a decent strength and conditioning coach near you? It would be prudent to seek them out, do maybe a session or two, I am not suggesting you try to become Jay Cutler or owt but some strength improvement is always good
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

You'd struggle to get matched at 54kg, without giving away weight at least . There are some fighters at 57kg but not many. There aren't many adult males that fit into that bracket, but that's pretty much the minimum you'd have to be to get matched up regularly.

A bit of functional lifting could help you with size and strength as Craig says.

To be honest i think 57kg will be my best weight believe it or not im not actaully that skinny i do have a small build obviously but i have broad shoulders etc wouldnt bulking all the way up to 61make me lose speed plus put me at a disadvantage fighting naturally bigger guys. Thanks for your responses by the way lads much appreciated