Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training in Brazil

My cat's name is Mittens ralphylad's Avatar

Default Training in Brazil

Just after some rough costs for a week trip, flights, training, accommodation and general spends.
    Cheers
    "I honestly can't even remember my old signature, so I'll have this one"

Brazil is expensive man but so worth it. Flight like 600-900, training at Brazilian Top Team unlimited for a month was about 100, Stayed in a shitty part of Copacabana think it was about 100 per week (try spend more and go to Ipanema its a lot nicer) general spends depends on what you are doing but 500 would cover everything and leave change
    WWW.BRIANHYSLOP.COM Dinky Ninja Fight Team #1

Heard barra beach is the place to be as long as 500 would cover my spends I'd be a happy man so 1000-1200 would cover all you reckon dude?

Any recommendations on camps?

It depends on what your doing to be fair, i was really there just to train so 500 a week would do but. And same if your going for just jits, theres plenty of places but stay away from camps they are a rip off.

the best training is just going to a gym eg BTT, (really good guys eg Murilo Bustamante, Rousimar Palhares, Milton Vieira looked after us) in Leblon, De la Riva in Copacabana is good for just jits, Carslon Gracies is round corner from there aswell. To be fair any well known gym would be amazing to train in.
    WWW.BRIANHYSLOP.COM Dinky Ninja Fight Team #1

a week is not going to be long enough!

a week is definitely not going to be enough.
    check out connection rio - they have cheap accomodation plus there are a bunch of other gringos doing exactly the same as you - ie training in brazil. I would reccomend getting your own room (which is still cheap) as staying in the form can be a bit raw. its in barra which is about 25mins on the bus from ipanamea. The houses are walking distance to Gordo BJJ and they often organise outside trips to other gyms and have connections with all the gyms mentioned above. denis asche is the guy that you want to speak to. hope this helps. porra

i trained at gracie tijuca for a month in february, the first week was just about trying to not die whilst training in the heat

if you go for only 1 week you will be disappointed when you have to leave

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    i trained at gracie tijuca for a month in february, the first week was just about trying to not die whilst training in the heat

if you go for only 1 week you will be disappointed when you have to leave
    100% correct
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

x2 weeks is the very least you'll want to be there, and even that is way too short, as I know all too well..

If you're only there a short time why stick to one place when you could try several. This is pretty normal practice unless you're there for an extended stay of course.

I spent 2 weeks in Rio last month and checked out 3 different places before returning to 1 of them for a few more classes. For each of those places I simply looked up their location and turned up to ask for class info. Everyone I met from students to instructors was super friendly, great to train with, didn't charge me for visiting, and invited me to return so hopefully you'll have a similar experience wherever you go - as long as you're polite and friendly too
    Last edited by nihilist; 15-05-2012 at 04:27 PM.