Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to BJJ

Bit late but a couple things I always hear being said to beginners;

-try not to use brute force. Will be difficult without knowing many techniques, just bear this in mind.
    -tap. Forget pride, forget seeing how long you can resist, when you're caught learn when to tap. You'll learn quicker and will less likely get injured.
    -escapes and improving position is way more important than learning submissions at this stage.
    -focus on simple techniques/drills involving hip movement (e.g. upa, shrimping - google/youtube these).
    -keep practicing the drills in class rather than stopping to talk or sit and watch others.
    -pace yourself. even if you're fit your body probably won't be used to the kind of movement involved so take it easy and relax

My cat's name is Mittens ralphylad's Avatar

RELAX would be my only advice and keep training, Ive trained in the gi consistently for 2 and half years now after training on and off no gi and MMA since 2005 I honest believe it is the greatest thing I have ever done, I have never been so engrossed in training as I have been during this past year.
    "I honestly can't even remember my old signature, so I'll have this one"

Give the Carlson Gracie school a go!! (I say that as I train at Carlson myself although Kent based).

It's going to be tough - Probably the toughest thing you'll have to endevour for months on end. I'm at 3 months and it's brutally tough. You'll get subbed by allsorts but the most important thing is to grind it out and stick with it.

I have been assured that it does become a lot more fun once you nail the fundamentals.

I gotta say that despite being subbed everytime I roll I do still have fun and hold out for the day finally I sub someone myself with a proper move!

Go to each of the clubs (both are very good) and try them out, just explain to the instructor your position and you are looking for a school that is right for you. Be very open minded and the biggest thing is to enjoy it. BJJ is so addictive and hopefully will become a huge part of your life.
    http://www.purebredbjjguam.com/how-h...cted-your-life

cheers for the info peeps