Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'head and arm' choke defense

Default 'head and arm' choke defense

Ok,

So,

You're rolling, guy passes, sets up head and arm choke then skips to side to apply the pressure.

Am I right in thinking that the best defense is to not let him get this far?

I can't find any vids on YouTube showing a decent defense or escape.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyPerry View Post
    Ok,

So,

You're rolling, guy passes, sets up head and arm choke then skips to side to apply the pressure.

Am I right in thinking that the best defense is to not let him get this far?

I can't find any vids on YouTube showing a decent defense or escape.

Yeah try not to let them get that far, and keep them from moving to side control where they want to be, if they get to side, they will start moving upwards to really sink in the choke, so move with them, if they are good tho, they will post a knee on your thigh to stop you moving with them,

Put your hand of the arm you're getting choked with on your ear, try to stop your bicep from being on your neck. I don't know if I've ever tapped to a head and arm from the top; they don't seem to work that well on me.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Exactly as Atlasmma said but also you can try and turn onto your opposite side they are choking you on as they need you reasonably flat for the choke to be tight.

Turning away is a bad idea, makes the switch to a side choke easy.

Putting your trapped arm hand to your ear will stop the choke, unless the guy applying it is mega strong, but won't help you escape. I prefer to put my trapped arm hand into a fist, cup it with the other hand and then push the trapped elbow into their head then up and over.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

hug your own leg, kick forward then do a backward roll. you're welcome
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Turning away is a bad idea, makes the switch to a side choke easy.

Putting your trapped arm hand to your ear will stop the choke, unless the guy applying it is mega strong, but won't help you escape. I prefer to put my trapped arm hand into a fist, cup it with the other hand and then push the trapped elbow into their head then up and over.
    I am talking if its already locked in here, I still stand by what I said regardless.

Plus I d say turning into them would make it easy to lock up not away.

Turning into them isn't gonna happen if it's locked tight, so it's not an issue either way. I've seen guys with a strong bridge manage to get to top side control by bridging into the person applying the choke though... not something I would recommend for the average guy!

I love the head & arm and love it if they try to turn away, side choke all the time then. I actually prefer the side choke on strong guys with big necks.

David's method of hugging the leg works too.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    hug your own leg, kick forward then do a backward roll. you're welcome
    Any chance of a video?