Thread: Technique/s&c balance

Hybrid View

Default Technique/s&c balance

Hi,

Apologies if I am repeating what may have already been asked.

As an amateur looking to improve my strength an conditioning for mma, what is the best balance between s&c and actual classes themselves. At the moment, my Thai/boxing and grappling classes incorporate a bit of strength and conditioning, but not enough in my opinion. I enjoy learning as much technique as possible. What I worry is that if I give up classes for s&c, I will sacrifice my skillset and limit improvement. As I can only train once a day, 6 days a week, how many s&c sessions should I be doing? Also, having previously trained 6 days a week straight for 3 months, I burnt out big time. How many intense days should I do before I have a rest? I'm guessing 2-3 is the answer.

I would personally set aside 2 sessions a week for s & c + 4 for skills. Keep your s&c sessions based on strength/power, met con, injury prevention stuff as you will most likely work on your aerobic conditioning whilst drilling in your skills sessions. In my opinion skills training will be more beneficial than s&c if your competing however you still need to focus on developing strength and power etc if your wanting to compete. If your wanting to train 6 days a week its more than achievable. You just need to train smart. so 1st off get your nutrition, sleep, and other recovery techniques sorted out. Then split your workout days into 3 different intensity's (light, moderate and heavy.) Try not to do more than 2 heavy session back to back heres an example:
    mon- heavy
    tues- heavy
    wed- light
    thurs- off
    Fri- heavy
    sat- moderate
    sun- heavy

Also try training either am or pm if you can to allow more time for recovery between sessions.
    Some food for thought hope this helps

chris

Quote Originally Posted by cardy View Post
    I would personally set aside 2 sessions a week for s & c + 4 for skills. Keep your s&c sessions based on strength/power, met con, injury prevention stuff as you will most likely work on your aerobic conditioning whilst drilling in your skills sessions. In my opinion skills training will be more beneficial than s&c if your competing however you still need to focus on developing strength and power etc if your wanting to compete. If your wanting to train 6 days a week its more than achievable. You just need to train smart. so 1st off get your nutrition, sleep, and other recovery techniques sorted out. Then split your workout days into 3 different intensity's (light, moderate and heavy.) Try not to do more than 2 heavy session back to back heres an example:
    mon- heavy
    tues- heavy
    wed- light
    thurs- off
    Fri- heavy
    sat- moderate
    sun- heavy

Also try training either am or pm if you can to allow more time for recovery between sessions.
    Some food for thought hope this helps

chris
    Cheers for the swift reply - that's alot of help. What do I need to consider for recovery? I'm currently on 10g glutamine and multivitamins. Thats it really other than a carb/protein shake after workouts. Im condiering adding some tribulus, but past use hasnt really seemed to make a difference. Another question is: when dieting and doing a late workout before bed, should I still eat carbs after or is it just going to store as fat?

Yeah I'm looking at fighting. Having recently had an amateur five minute fight and ended up gassing half way in, I'm looking at serious improving my conditioning along with strength.

Thanks again

I'd leave out carbs after a late workout, stick to the protein shake. Personally I try and keep carbs for earlier in the day - mainly morning or early afternoon and try not to eat too many later in the day, they're only needed to fuel the body for that day. Creatine, BCAA's and Protein shakes are all good for recovery, with rest of course.

Cardio will come when training the skills, S&C for fighting should focus alot on improving your speed, power and strength. Plyometrics, body weight exercises etc. I'd perhaps integrate some plyometrics with traditional things like dead lifts, push/pulls etc to strengthen and build power whilst remaining mma-specific (no point going out and doing traditional lifting and building strength without relating it to fight specific movements/improvements) for 2 S&C workouts a week along with the 4 skill based workouts.

example

Monday - S&C
    Tuesday - BJJ
    Wednesday - MMA training
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - S&C
    Saturday - Stand Up training
    Sunday - BJJ
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    I'd leave out carbs after a late workout, stick to the protein shake. Personally I try and keep carbs for earlier in the day - mainly morning or early afternoon and try not to eat too many later in the day, they're only needed to fuel the body for that day. Creatine, BCAA's and Protein shakes are all good for recovery, with rest of course.

Cardio will come when training the skills, S&C for fighting should focus alot on improving your speed, power and strength. Plyometrics, body weight exercises etc. I'd perhaps integrate some plyometrics with traditional things like dead lifts, push/pulls etc to strengthen and build power whilst remaining mma-specific (no point going out and doing traditional lifting and building strength without relating it to fight specific movements/improvements) for 2 S&C workouts a week along with the 4 skill based workouts.

example

Monday - S&C
    Tuesday - BJJ
    Wednesday - MMA training
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - S&C
    Saturday - Stand Up training
    Sunday - BJJ
    Awesome! Thanks!

Here's an example

Monday a.m. - Non linear strength endurance, long duration. Monday p.m. – Muay Thai / MMA

Tuesday a.m. - S+C – Fmax, Tuesday p.m. - Boxing

Wednesday a.m. - OFF Wednesday p.m. - MMA / S+C Lactate threshold / Short duration Strength endurance.

Thursday a.m. - S+C, Non linear Strength endurance, long duration - Thursday p.m. Muay Thai

Friday a.m. - S+C – Rate of force development / Power. Friday p.m. - Boxing