Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue belt Not in Allowed in BJJ Class in Choi Kwan Do School

Hybrid View

Default Blue belt Not in Allowed in BJJ Class in Choi Kwan Do School

A Choi Kwan Do School local to me has just added BJJ to their timetable, the instructor wasn't listed on the website so I rang up and they were asking so many questions about my BJJ training I thought something was fishy, when I asked who the coach was they said it was their Choi kwan Do instructor who has apparantly trained extensively with Royce Gracie in America, I asked what belt he is and she said "He will be getting his blue belt later this year". They told me they will see me later on at the class then a few hours before the class they ring me and say the class is too full they are not recruiting any more members LOL. Really annoying, I wasnt expecting it to be top notch BJJ training would just have liked some more local rolling....
    Start Wrestling

Just go along anyway and tell them you're a white belt (they're obviously dodgy so fuck it, unless you've got cauli they won't be able to tell). Do all the techniques poorly and then try to roll with the instructor and wreck him.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Just go along anyway and tell them you're a white belt (they're obviously dodgy so fuck it, unless you've got cauli they won't be able to tell). Do all the techniques poorly and then try to roll with the instructor and wreck him.
    Good idea, before I said I was a blue they seemed happy to get a new member. Might have to lie about my name because they will probably say it's too full if they remember me from the phone.
    Start Wrestling

A friend of mine who trains in CKD once introduced me to his instructor who also had apparently trained with Royce Gracie.. I wonder if it's the same guy. Where abouts is this place?
    Last edited by nihilist; 13-06-2012 at 01:12 AM.

The most hated Gaijin of all

I originally trained TKD and used to love it, wasn't this point fighting crap either. Then my instructor changed to CKD and originally I thought it looked pretty good but then it revealed itself for the money making exercise it is. Hence why I ended up moving to Muay Thai and BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsy View Post
    I originally trained TKD and used to love it, wasn't this point fighting crap either. Then my instructor changed to CKD and originally I thought it looked pretty good but then it revealed itself for the money making exercise it is. Hence why I ended up moving to Muay Thai and BJJ.
    Is there something up with Korean Martial Arts? I was studying Hapkido for a 6 months before I realised it was nothing but a vehicle for making money for my instructor!

Grading was 4 times a year and you were charged 40 quid a pop as well as an extra 35 for the seminars.

That on top of 55 monthly fee which only entitled me to train twice a week!

Much happier in BJJ where I don't pay to be graded and can train as many times a week as I want for less money.

I have heard a few other stories from friends who had to stop CKD,TKD,HKD due to the emptiness in their pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwhipsitstail View Post
    Is there something up with Korean Martial Arts? I was studying Hapkido for a 6 months before I realised it was nothing but a vehicle for making money for my instructor!

Grading was 4 times a year and you were charged 40 quid a pop as well as an extra 35 for the seminars.

Lol that's brilliant!
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwhipsitstail View Post

Much happier in BJJ where I don't pay to be graded and can train as many times a week as I want for less money.

I have heard a few other stories from friends who had to stop CKD,TKD,HKD due to the emptiness in their pockets.
    It's not specific to Korean martial arts, that's a fairly typical 'business model' for trad martial arts these days. Sign in advance a 2-3 year contract (that a 3rd party agency will enforce), 50+ per month direct debit for 2-3 one hour classes per week, very little sparring in classes, no entry into competitions as emphasis placed on 'respect' & self improvement through being able to repeat lots of drills rather than pressure tested accomplishment versus peers, guaranteed black belt in 2 years' time. Better still if some of the new black belts to set up satellite schools in a franchise arrangement. You can see some of that being potentially useful for young kids & the middle aged to become a 'martial artist' (who can't fight), rather than an uncouth fighter type..!
    I'm a lover, not a fighter... But I love fighting. MMAOfficials.co.uk

You cage fighters just have no respect for tradition.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Have you been to the class yet?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/