Thread: Training methods

Default Training methods

Hey, I'm about to attend my first mma class next week however this post is more to do with s/c.

The gym where I work has everything you could ask for in a normal gym apart form anything to modern,lol. Even has 2 heavy bags so I can practice my striking regularly. I will only manage to attend 2 - 3 mma classes a month due to shift patterns at work n having 3 young kids.

What I'm ask for guys are some workout tips that will help me in my mma classes, I will be doing the big compound moves such as dead lifts, squats and so on, but is there anything spacific, for example (I was going to do this tonight in gym) shadow boxing with 5kg dumb bells.

I'm a noob to fight spacific training so any help would be ace, feel free to take the piss out of the shadow boxing thing, was just an idea though.lol

Thanks guys
    Andy

EVERY fighter should shadow box, it's so underrated and yet so useful. It can be done anywhere and you don't need any equipment or a partner; it couldn't be better! make sure you add Shoots & Sprawls to it to make it more MMA specific and don't forget your kicks.

I'm not personally a big fan of shadow boxing with dumbbells; they're good for building isometric strength in the shoulders (for endurance, to stop you dropping your hands in a fight when you're tired and getting caught) but for anything else I'm not sold on the idea; here's why

- Although it takes some effort to get the weight moving, once the weight is actually in motion it will pull your hand with it; which is actually making the punch easier instead of adding resistance, which is what you really want.

- At the end of the punch (full extension) you want to be careful you don't allow the weight to jerk your shoulder, you don't wanna get injured doing something that's supposed to help you

Much better for adding power to you punches would be using resistance bands or that shadow boxer device from a few years back (they're pretty cheap now I think) or just shadow box without resistance and use a medicine ball (or a rock or brick outside if you don't have a ball) and do plyometric shot puts. This will teach your body to apply maximal force to move the weight and, as you're throwing it at the end of the punch, the weight won't pull your arm

Thanks Dan, been doing some shadow boxing now and some body weight circuits in the house, have my first mma class on Wednesday so looking forward to that, going to train with spartan fight team in Aberdeen,

Hey andy, I have just uploaded a new post on my site, you should subscribe there is often workouts and programmes put on here for free which will help.
    www.themillfitness.com

30/09/2012 ENTER THE KETTLEBELL

This is a great event to learn how the RKC system is works.
    -swings
    -squats
    -TGU
    -press
    -and more swings

WITH www.kettlebelllondon.co.uk & www.kettlebellfever.com

174-176 Hither Green Lane
    SE13 6QB

e-mail; thaifight0@googlemail.com
    tel; 07859910790

Cool post about the kettlebell work out.

I found out more on them when reading the Timothy Ferriss 4-hour body (some of it is corny, some of it is nice), and have added that to my workout schedule twice a week (just the cowbell swing). There are variations, but I usually go for 4 sets of 25 after a 10min warmup.