Thread: Mma fighter vs boxer in a boxing match

Default Mma fighter vs boxer in a boxing match

There is a boxing show in "pitchers" nightclub in irvine on Saturday. It's a boxing rules tournament which has a couple of mma guys in it. Is there a great deal of difference between the pure boxers boxing ability and the mma guys stand up? I'm not sure of the level of competitors, does anyone know anyone fighting on this show?
    Fuck no-gi

There is generally a big difference between a boxers ability compared to an mma guy or even Thai/Kickboxers ability in pure boxing! Unless the mma guys come from a predominately boxing background! Of course it would be a different story if the rules changed but in a pure boxing match the boxers going to win 9 times from 10.

That's interesting. I will find out the result and it will be interesting to see how the mma guys coped. It won't look great for the boxers if they lose.
    Fuck no-gi

lads us boxers hands are on diffrant leval to mmas havin 18 pro rucks an with 18 ko's ive got the skills in boxin an i do mma aswell have boxed with andasan silva his hands aint got fuckin shit on mine fella i teed of on that cunt smackad him rownd the ring an browk his ribs cuple yeres ago the muggy cunt didant come back to the gym til he new i was back in london
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Johny-Boy/215858055149963?ref=ts wbc world champ 19-0

I think the mma guys have now pulled out so I guess we won't find out after all.
    Fuck no-gi

It's like saying 'who would win if a freestyle wrestler competed against an arm-wrestler', totally different sports, hate these debates. Of course the guy who spends 100% of his training on his hands is gonna be more proficient than someone who doesn't.
    You know when you've been gripped

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshire gripper View Post
    It's like saying 'who would win if a freestyle wrestler competed against an arm-wrestler', totally different sports, hate these debates. Of course the guy who spends 100% of his training on his hands is gonna be more proficient than someone who doesn't.
    The question was more about how big the gap is between a quality mma fighters stand up and a boxers. The hope was the question would be answered by the event but as the mma guys pulled out we never got to see. How good is the stand up in mma? I think it's a pretty interesting question.
    Fuck no-gi

I don't think its as simple as that, I mean how good are these boxers. Were the MMA fighters more comfortable striking, ground, all-round. At a lower level the difference might not be so vast, but again it would depend on the fighters involved.

However if you want to know how it could go down between former champions then watch Tim Sylvia vs. Ray Mercer. Both former champions in respective sports. Big Timmy despite his critics had decent striking & got sparked in seconds.
    I know it wasn't a boxing match but the fight never got a chance to go anywhere near the floor, well about from Sylvia laid out on it!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
    lads us boxers hands are on diffrant leval to mmas havin 18 pro rucks an with 18 ko's ive got the skills in boxin an i do mma aswell have boxed with andasan silva his hands aint got fuckin shit on mine fella i teed of on that cunt smackad him rownd the ring an browk his ribs cuple yeres ago the muggy cunt didant come back to the gym til he new i was back in london
    ^^^ ha ha ha ha ^^^ LMAO
    Joey Essex is my hero, he's Reem.

To be honest, I think at a lower level the difference is vastly exaggerated. There are 'MMA guys' I box with that I know can tool most of the guys at the local ammy gyms.

Of course if you get to the elite level then it's worlds apart, but a guy with good hands in the UFC wouldn't do too badly with an average boxing pro in the ring.