Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge Aaron Chatfield sucks

Hi Xanthic,

Just out of interest, where is his gym in Hong Kong? (I don't think I know him, but I'm passing through Hong Kong in a month, and it might be nice to have somewhere good to train for a few days while I'm there.)

Thanks,

Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSam View Post
    Hi Xanthic,

Just out of interest, where is his gym in Hong Kong? (I don't think I know him, but I'm passing through Hong Kong in a month, and it might be nice to have somewhere good to train for a few days while I'm there.)

Thanks,

Sam.
    Yeah I'd be interested to know this as I casually pass through Hong Kong as well when I'm bored haha.

Worst Judging in the Known Universe: Bass Singh, Aaron Chatfield

As long as judging in mixed martial arts reminds us of the woeful saga of replacement refereeing in the NFL and will continue to do so seemingly without end, bellyaching about its cause seems like a waste of time. Still, it's worth taking inventory of which judges do a poor job, event by event.

From Saturday, we have two entrants into the comically bad judging hall of fame. Bass Singh somehow managed to score Alex Caceres vs. Motonobu Tezuka 29-28 for Tezuka. The other two judges couldn't even give Tezuka a single round, nor anyone else capable of judging MMA contests. Tezuka was hugely outstruck in all three frames, did nothing with the one takedown he earned in each of the first two rounds and had a less than 25 percent success rate on takedown attempts, but hey, who's counting?

Aaron Chatfield went the other direction. He admittedly got the decision right between Takeya Mizugaki and Jeff Hougland, but got a tad bit overboard. Chatfield scored the second and third rounds as 10-8 frames. Admittedly, they were dominant, but it's hard to see either of them as meeting that special threshold. Hougland was covering up in defensive postures and trying for submissions for long portions of the round. Those are not hallmarks of 10-8 drubbings. Again, he ultimately made the right call in terms of who won or lost (although, it's hard to see how anyone couldn't in this particular scenario) and I admire in the courage to use a 10-8 score. But there's criteria for them and these rounds didn't really meet them, especially since Hougland was never really rocked and Mizugaki almost exclusively worked from Hougland's guard.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/11/1...best-and-worst

he's awful! DEAL WITH IT

Hi Xanthic,

Thanks,

Sam.
    It's in Tsim Sha Tsui which is the tourist/shopping district in South Kowloon. It's not far (few minutes walk) from the MTR station.

Here's the map/directions to get there - when you find the place that you find on the map and can't seem to spot it (no signs) - it's right above the small currency exchange place. You need to walk down the side of it into the building the exchange place sticks out of and the lift is there on the right if I remember correctly.

I think it's the 4th floor but I could be wrong. It's been about 6 months since I was there.
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

Thanks very much, Xanthic - it's appreciated.

If you end up back there at some point, there's a great bar not far from there called Ned Kelly's Last Stand (or at least, there was last time I was there). I spent New Year's Eve in there once, and it was epic! They have a brass band of sorts that plays most nights. It's on Ashley Road, almost opposite the Ka Ka Lok takeaway on the corner.

Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
    It's in Tsim Sha Tsui which is the tourist/shopping district in South Kowloon. It's not far (few minutes walk) from the MTR station.

Here's the map/directions to get there - when you find the place that you find on the map and can't seem to spot it (no signs) - it's right above the small currency exchange place. You need to walk down the side of it into the building the exchange place sticks out of and the lift is there on the right if I remember correctly.

I think it's the 4th floor but I could be wrong. It's been about 6 months since I was there.
    There's a Kowloon near me, it's shit.

Thanks very much, Xanthic - it's appreciated.

If you end up back there at some point, there's a great bar not far from there called Ned Kelly's Last Stand (or at least, there was last time I was there). I spent New Year's Eve in there once, and it was epic! They have a brass band of sorts that plays most nights. It's on Ashley Road, almost opposite the Ka Ka Lok takeaway on the corner.

Sam.
    I'll be back there next year for family, I don't drink so stay away from bars and clubs in all honesty.

Saying that I'd like to visit Portland Street at some point during my next visit haha!
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

LOLOLOL

I just want you to stop being so bad. and yeah the 10-8's are handed out like free toy in a happy meal with you. How can 2 judges see it 10-9 consistently but you see it 10-8? People only consider 10-8 rounds when a fighter has been dropped and dominated with significant damage like cuts

Also I'm not the one who's caught on to your really bad decisions. Many sites in the U.S and people on forums say the same thing now. Maybe you should look to do a better job instead of crying about people saying your doing a bad job.

I don't wish you dead Aaron

If Aaron's such a bad judge , how come promoters keep using him?

I do know Aaron and I consider him to be a friend; but I would still ask this question whoever he was
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

I actually think 10-9s are almost woefully overused. I've often seen people being given 9s when they've offered little resilience to what's being thrown at them and offered nothing in return. The scoring system is such that it's completely open to individual interpretation, which is probably why there are three judges instead of the fight being scored by the referee.