Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Judge Aaron Chatfield sucks

Mad? You think im mad? Takes a lot more to get me mad and gone are the days where some stranger could piss me off over the internet. Hes not my boyfriend, on balance, youre the one bein hysterical and kickin off. Look up Loui Spence and youll see whos voice im reading your post in.

Im not a blind nuthugger, i just disagree that hes a bad judge or a bad guy and ive given you plausable explanations to cover all other scenarios.

Congrats dude. You epitamise why i dont come here anymore. Well done you. Peace dude. Take it easy.
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

Oh dear, leon is back as cagefiyter.....

10-8 round - perfect example, Frankie Edgar v Gray Maynard first round in the second fight of the trilogy... In fact, could almost be cheeky and call that a 10-7, one sided beatdown.

Personally more 10-8's are needed, 10-9 is sometimes far too generous. I think the problem partly lies with the way 10-8 is scored in boxing - usually only happens when one fighter drops the other, over 12 rounds thats fair enough but a three round fight, sometimes more is needed to reflect the various outcomes of the round - 10-9 for a competitive round and 10-8 for one fighter dominating, 10-7 for a one sided beatdown round maybe..

That or the ole Pride scoring.....and bring back yellow cards as well for lay n praying.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

While I support 10-8 rounds in MMA, surely a 10-7 round should be a ref stoppage. Cannot fathom any round ive ever watched that would be a 10-7. Happy to read examples. Even if you sat in a sub attempt or got a john fitch gnp tippy tap for 4mins 59secs id still say 10-8. 10-7 just stretches the point too far.
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

To be fair true, I hadn't had my morning coffee in me at that point, though I think what I was trying to get at is more about 10-9 encompasses probably 95% of scored rounds (totally legit stat I just made up), 10-8 the rest, yet if rounds were more on a sliding scale then it would give more wiggle room for judges to reflect how dominant a fighter was, e.g 10-9 very close round one fighter edging it, 10-8 a dominant round for one fighter but not complete in some regard (e.g wrassle fucking all round but limited gnp) a 10-7 a full on dominant round with control and damage done by one fighter only..

Kinda what I mean is 10-9 is given for sooooo many rounds yet some are very very very close, some are blatantly in favour of one fighter, the further scoring is judged on a sliding scale, the more it can be reflected on score cards. As it stands now under current scoring, yeah a 10-7 - I would want one fighter to bust out a Mortal Kombat finishing move to get a 10-7.

Quote Originally Posted by stapesmk1 View Post
    While I support 10-8 rounds in MMA, surely a 10-7 round should be a ref stoppage. Cannot fathom any round ive ever watched that would be a 10-7. Happy to read examples. Even if you sat in a sub attempt or got a john fitch gnp tippy tap for 4mins 59secs id still say 10-8. 10-7 just stretches the point too far.
    Hi Stapes!

10-7 rounds are VERY very rare and as you point out in most cases would result in a tko win.

However they do exist and they are real. Perhaps the best ever example of a high profile example would be Edgar v Maynard -multiple knockdowns, utter domination and referee hovering on more than a couple of occasions (subsequently a great job by the ref!) but Edgar was always still in there moving and responding. To me it's the greatest example of a 10-7 round that you are likely to see.

Thanks mate.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Sorry I should clarify that I am referring to Round 1 of Edgar v Maynard 2

All three officials judges gave it 10-8 but I would have most certainly gave it 10-7 Maynard and have had no problem with anyone else who did also.

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

Quote Originally Posted by stapesmk1 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA27pxZlQPo

The first round of this is as close to a 10-7 that I think I've seen. I've never given a 10-7 myself.

It'd technically be a 9-7 because Cyborg got a point stopped but that's just details. Finney got hit, on average, once every 3.3 seconds for an entire five minute round and was nearly stopped on multiple occasions.

Teixeira put a nasty beating on Maldonaldo recently as well. 1st round he was 117 of 183 in total with 85 of them being significant. Another one that's an easy 10-8 and more of a borderline 10-7 like Edgar/Maynard II first round.
    16-bit for life http://findingdyluck.blogspot.co.uk/

Maynard did indeed put a whupping on him, is a good shout for a 10-7.

I think part of the problem stems as well from MMA never really having its own criteria, its just been mashed up since day one with a big spoonful of Boxing scoring thrown in... Be a long long time before it changes as well I fear. Plus...how the hell do you change it and where do you start (other than takedowns that result in fook all should score...fook all).

Just to be controversial in a comedy way - I would rather have seen Condit win on scorecards against GSP than the other way around, Condit was beating the crap out of GSP from his back whilst getting a tan from the overhead lights, just look at the state of GSP after that fight.

Not really saying that fight should have been scored differently but....someone who is very active off their back should be given more consideration than someone just holding position and picking the odd shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    I think part of the problem stems as well from MMA never really having its own criteria, its just been mashed up since day one with a big spoonful of Boxing scoring thrown in.
    Evzy - are you trolling us?

never argue with a fool

Quote Originally Posted by Ben CQ View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA27pxZlQPo

The first round of this is as close to a 10-7 that I think I've seen.
    Very good shout/example.

never argue with a fool