Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Judge Aaron Chatfield sucks

Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    Evzy - are you trolling us?
    Not really no, what I mean is it uses the same 10 point must system as boxing, which over a 3 round fight I personally dont think works as well in so much as its very rigid - kinda what I was trying to get at earlier re more open scoring if the 10 point system is used - i.e more 10-8 and some 10-7 for dominant rounds, where now most score a dominant round 10-9, you have to almost smash the dude to bits just to get a 10-8 - Maynard v Edgar round for instance. Maybe I should have worded/explained it better. MMA scoring has evolved but...its still so inconsistent at times especially with takedowns, some judges seem to score them even if nothing comes from them, when watching a fight I sometimes have in my head what I think I would score it and what I expect the judges will score it - when they differ the score the judges give usually aligns with what I thought they would give (not always, some do throw a zinger in there).

Was it Big John or someone who was trialling the half point system about a year ago in the States? Whatever happened to that? I thought that may have worked better / given more scope to scoring fights.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Evzy

Criteria and scoring system are two ENTIRELY different things. You original statement caught me as you said that MMA never had its own criteria which of course it clearly does. What is shares in common with boxing is the scoring system (10 must) and NOT any form of criteria.

It was Nelson Doc Hamilton who came up with the idea of the half point system but it is completely irrelevant mate. I don't want to give too much away here as it forms a large part of my ref and judge seminars (ironing out misconceptions etc) I don't know your involvement fully if you judge etc and any shows but would welcome you to my next seminar should you so wish. Genuine offer mate.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Sorry dude, you are correct, I knew what I meant in my head and what I was trying to say, just didn't come out like that at all...I am keyboard trigger happy at times

Marc I would love to attend one up north whenever you do one up here (if there has been one lately I must admit to having not seen it otherwise I would have probably been coming anyway as quite fancied it for some time) must admit I dont have any real involvement in MMA outside of having written a few articles for TFL, never judged etc except from my couch, sure I have said it before on here a long time ago but even from just a fan's point of view I would love to attend the seminar at some point, can never get enough MMA insight imo. Would be really interest in your thoughts on that .5 scoring then if you don't like the idea of it, I thought it sounded ok but I bow to your judgement even prior to hearing your reasoning!
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Hi Marc, hope you're well. Big thanks for that! You too Ben, cheers guys.
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Recommend Marc's seminar too, it really clears it up. The problems are not with scoring/the criteria, problems ARE with the application and lack of understanding
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

^^^ Agree 100% with the above. Essential for anyone involved in the sport
    Andy Lillis, Former Cagewarriors President

On fine form tonight at UFC Fuel 7

Media - "Was there a mistake in the Che Mills' scoring?"

Dana - "Yeah, it was a mistake making that guy a judge".

http://mmadecisions.com/decision.jsp?id=4010

LOL

oh and I saw your little rant on trolls. Fuck you right back Chatfield
    Last edited by Sengoku; 17-02-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Wow all those jorno's disagreeing with one judge over one round. We need to serious look at judging world wide.

What is your problem dude?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumac View Post
    Wow all those jorno's disagreeing with one judge over one round. We need to serious look at judging world wide.

What is your problem dude?
    my problem is an awful judge who shouldn't be judging a pie eating contest let alone UFC

He's proven himself with his history every fucking event to fuck up the scoring. not just 1 fight in 1 event. Go to the links provided and see for yourself.

Even Dana White said it was a mistake ever allowing this guy to judge.

I have followed other threads and to be honest all I get is a feeling of you having a problem with one particular judge.

You seem to quote the press all the time saying they scored it one way when Aaron Chatfield scored it another. When you sit cage side at the judges table you should concentrate 100% on the fight before you, journalists spend 25% of that time taking notes so miss part of what is going on.

Fans get to listen to the commentators and are influenced by them, they get to see slow motion replays during breaks (the judge has made the decision by then) or if they are watching it live they are far removed from the action and distracted by mates talking and other fans shouting.

"Even Dana White said it was a mistake ever allowing this guy to judge" We'll that's that then, lets bar Aaron from ever judging again. Don't lose the fact that Dana White is a promoter, nothing more nothing less, he promotes the biggest MMA show on the planet but he is still a promoter. Fights not going the way he wants them upsets him, it upsets his plans for the future, IMO judges that upset Mr White are good for the sport it shows that they are not controlled by the UFC and make independent decisions.

You say he's fucked up the scoring in every event, that's your opinion, you have gained that from watching fights on TV or live and you feel you are able to judge a judge. The same judge has spent years learning the rules of MMA and the criteria for judging and scoring an MMA bout, I know who's opinion I value and respect.

Officials are an easy target for fans, most times they won't go on to forums to defend themselves or speak out against a promoter. They do a perform a crucial roll and you wouldn't be watching the UFC without them, should we get rid of every judge that fans/promoters don't like? Personally I think not, it makes for some good debates after the event, some people take it too far though.