Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: ***On Top 6***Saturday 6th October***Official thread with fightcard***

Really enjoyed my first On Top,

Thought the Stevenson & Docherty fights where great viewing. The Glabriath Vs McVittie fight brought the place alight, literally!!

The big screen was superb, so was the view from the terrace seating

My only negative, I couldn't understand what the MC was waffling on about, subtitles on the big screen next time please.

Both Adam Stevenson, Bobby McVitie and to an extent Danny Henry come from relatively small fight teams and perhaps lack the good quality sparring partners, strong coaching group and an experienced corner team. These guys all have great potential but maybe they could go further by joining a larger fight team.

If these guys possibly joined up at the Grip they would have access to a mixture of good experienced coaches and they would be a able to train and spar with a talent pool far deeper than anywhere else in Scotland.

For the progression of these guy's careers I reckon they should be looking at making a change, whether it be moving gym completely or possibly spending some time with well established gyms down in England. You only have to look at the success of Robert Whiteford: moved to the Grip, became a Dinky and even spent time over at ATT.

In my opinion you're only ever going to be as good as the best guy you train with. The Grip has experts in all the disciplines that make up MMA so it makes sense that these are the guys that are the most successful.

I'm not having a go at the gyms where these guys train but I think by staying where they are there missing out on an opportunity to push themselves further and progress their career.

Having said all that I guess the guys at the Grip would have to invite these guys.
    An unintuitive consequence of conditional probability.

James Lake - Event Co-ordinator / Business Development

here’s full results and times for last nights show: -

Andrew Glen (Grip, DNFT) v Scott Richards (Grapplers MMA, Bristol) at 68kgs Catchweight
    - Andrew Glen wins by referee stoppage (Ground and pound) after 1:49 of round 1

Shaun Taylor (Lycans MMA) V Kevin McKinnon (Alba Dornadair) at Welterweight -
    Shaun Taylor wins by ref stoppage (ground and pound) after 3:34 of round 1

Craig Docherty (Grip, DNFT) v O 'Icebox' Okunnu (Team Icebox, Sunderland) at 63.5kgs Catchweight
    O ‘Icebox’ Okunnu wins by unanimous decision after 3 rounds

Adam Stevenson (SMAC) v Marcin Wrzosek (Bushido MMA, Nottingham) at Lightweight
    - Marcin Wrzosek wins by unanimous decision after 3 rounds

James Macalister (Grip, DNFT) V Steven Gardiner (NFA, Sunderland) at 62kgs Catchweight
    James Macalister wins by unanimous decision after 3 rounds

Danny Henry (Headhunters MMA) v Michael Doyle (EFR, Ireland) at Lightweight
    Michael Doyle wins by unanimous decision after 3 rounds

Chris Stringer (Kaobon, Liverpool) v Miguel Haro (Boxing Team, France) at Lightweight
    Miguel Haro defeated Chris Stringer by unanimous decision after 3 rounds

David Galbraith (Gladitorial Combat) v Bobby McVitie (Team Viper) at 68kgs Catchweight
    David Galbraith wins by unanimous decision after 3 rounds

Alan Johnston (D-Unit, DNFT) v Sam Boult (Bodyflow Combat, Sheffield) at Welterweight
    Sam Boult wins by unanimous decision after 3 rounds

CO-MAIN EVENT - BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE FIGHT
    David Aranda (MMA Barcelona Team, Spain) v Olivier Pastor (Team Pythagore, France)

David Aranda retains his title via unanimous decision after 5 rounds

MAIN EVENT - FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE FIGHT
    Graham Turner (DNFT, Scotland) v Gianluca Scottoli (Shotteam Moden, Italy)

Graham Turner wins the vacant featherweight title by submission (tapout due to strikes) at 3:11 of round 2
    www.ontoppromotions.co.uk - MMA Promotion/Fighter Management

I thought one of the best performances on the night was that of Miguel Haro, hadn't heard of him before but he was very impressive against a good opponent in Chris Stringer
    Scotlands No. 1 Timekeeper also available as a BJJ/No Gi referee

Agree with Meat I didn't see all of Miguel v Chris but from what I did see Miguel put on a great performance.

Also really enjoyed James McAllister v Steven Gardiner thought that was good.

A lot of good action,hard work for the judges.

Both title fight's were good.

Thought Miguel Haro was awesome!! Really good blend of all the skills could be good to see on future shows. Stevenson and Doc fights where absolute wars.

Awesome show , production and set up was cool aswell

i liked it better than the kelvin hall, liked the mc too thought it was really professional.

Another great show from ontop gutted I was just watching this time but hopefully on the next 1 liked the new venue not a bad seat in the house every seat rather close to the cage.

Agree with what cyrus said about few people trying bigger clubs its the best thing I've done for my career now trainin at doolans club with the likes of delaney,turner,danny gray etc.

Aj and henry both facing 1st defeats as pro's hopefully they learn from it and come back stronger.

The guys stringer,adam,henry,aj and doc fought all looked impressive.

Turner dominated really good performance from him, think he shud be the closest fighter to the ufc due to wins,record,age and his performance obviously.

Think taylor needs a stepup in competition no disrespect to kev makinnon bt think this result was always goin to happen. I'd like to see hw taylor would get on with some1 with a bit experience and gd takedown defence duno if that's just cz I'd like to see some1 smash his face in though. Now 4-0 I'd like to see him against some1 like aj,caldwell he could cause them problems on the ground with his jits and aj could cause him problems on the feet hopefully a sore face wht u guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by ray (edge mma)
    ;Think taylor needs a stepup in competition no disrespect to kev makinnon bt think this result was always goin to happen. I'd like to see hw taylor would get on with some1 with a bit experience and gd takedown defence duno if that's just cz I'd like to see some1 smash his face in though. Now 4-0 I'd like to see him against some1 like aj,caldwell he could cause them problems on the ground with his jits and aj could cause him problems on the feet hopefully a sore face wht u guys think?
    I think there's enough "tough guys" that wanna pollute their record getting losses against other "tough guys". I personally think a young kid like Taylor should be fighting boxing style talent enhancers at this point, the 0 always looks good. You seem to have a bit of beef with the kid, and to be fair I think that's what he wants dude.
    Last edited by iandean; 08-10-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: broken code
    Fuck no-gi

Stevie you and Shaun proper hate each other. Makes me laugh, it's a shame the fight never happened when it could've.

Those fights won't happen. Shaun's in good hands and will be managed in the right way, as it is he's a novice pro fighting other novice pro's.
    Rob McCrum, Pro BW. www.bjjscotland.co.uk