Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first time you come across MMA

Default The first time you come across MMA

This might sound like a piss take but mine was when i was watching Friends and Ross's sister went out with that 'Cage fighter'. First real intrest was watching Bravo and they had that documentary on Bisping, then i flicked over one night and he was fighting , i thought thats him off the documentary, ever since been hooked. It's crazy how you get roped in, I thought nothing would ever come close to Football as me being a fan and following it but MMA ticks alot boxes. 2 men in a cage, lets see who's best. How did you first come across this 'Newish' sport?

Mine was randomly flicking through Sky Sports many years ago.. caught a fight with Pete Williams and Mark Coleman.
    I thought it was absolutely crazy to watch what these guys were doing and loved it at the same time.

Been watching it ever since really - although I did have a phase where I was bored of the UFC and got into Pride - The UFC had a period where they were flooded with wrestlers and its just got boring with too many fighters going for a points win (aka lay and pray). I found some Pride events to download and really enjoyed watching guys like Wandy, Rampage, Igor Vochanchin (sp?), Don Frye, etc. That got me enjoying it again kept me loving the sport.

Its a shame some of the newer fans missed out on the Pride era as there were some major wars.
    One thing I always liked with rules was the knees on a grounded opponent.. with the UFC alot of the judging is weighted towards fighters who show strong wrestling skills and striking is secondary. With the "knees to the grounded opponent" rule alot of the safety/stalling techniques wrestlers used weren't available. You see it now.. someone gets rocked so they shoot for a half arse double leg, drop to their knees and just hang on until they are thinking straight again, due to the positioning all the opponent can do is try and improve position as they are unable to strike effectively and half of their arsenal has just gone.

It was the boring old TUF route for me. I was channel surfing and stopped on Bravo, to see a house full of idiots making fun of Matt Hammill....then next thing you know he was beating some poor dude up. Shamrock and Tito's antics soon kept me comign back.
    Twitter @steflachMMA. Herald Sport www.heraldscotland.com/sport

1997, I'm 10 years old and Ken Shamrock enters the WWF as 'The World's Most Dangerous Man'. I was fascinated with his background and got my mate's older brother to buy me a UFC VHS from the second hand shop. Started ankle locking all my friends with a move which I now know is a toe hold.

Around 2000, I used to go into a pro wrestling shop in Manchester after I finished school to pick up VHS copies of ECW events (I progressed from WWF/WWE to ECW to MMA as I got older) when I got talking to Mike, the store owner, about Japanese pro wrestling and it's links to something called MMA.

He gave me a copy of UFC 22 to check out, I went home and watched Tito vs Frank Shamrock 3 times in a row; after that I gradually evolved away from pro wrestling to MMA until it got to now; where I literally think about, train in, talk abot or watch MMA every single day.

cornered Rickson against Nishi in 94

i saw a UFC advert with pedro rizzo when i was travelling in australia in 2001 - some sort had him in a headlock with a 'quit your whining' caption. i was intrigued and quickly became obsessed with it.

Documentry on Leigh Remedios, Ian Freeman & Mark Weir in the lead up to UFC 38 in London. Hooked ever since
    Sponsored by...PASnutrition, G4MMA, Physicool, Garra fightwear!

Read something about a dude called Cro Cop signing for the UFC and started watching

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    1997, I'm 10 years old and Ken Shamrock enters the WWF as 'The World's Most Dangerous Man'. I was fascinated with his background and got my mate's older brother to buy me a UFC VHS from the second hand shop. Started ankle locking all my friends with a move which I now know is a toe hold.
    Exactly the same thing. When came in my brother told me how he got his name, I watched it and boom.