Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomendation on Instruction DVD's

Default Recomendation on Instruction DVD's

Hi guy's,

Just had my first BJJ lesson last night which was thoroughly enjoyable. Learned the very basics of guard passing and hip-escaping, etc. I wouldn't mind having an instruction/tutorial type DVD covering the basics so I can make sure the stuff I'm learning is fresh in my memory. Can anyone recommend any good ones and where to get?

Thanks in advance.

If you can get hold of Vitor Estimas fundamental tutorials they're worth every penny. It used to be on cagefilm to download but I don't know if it's still there.

Don't worry about instructional videos too much. If you do get something, basic or fundamental stuff are the only thing you should watch (as per above post).

The best stuff to watch are black belt matches... but you won't get much out of that until you know a bit of jiu-jitsu.

Do not watch instructionals on Youtube, there is a lot of utter shit out there and when you've just started training it is impossible to tell what is shit and what is good.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Do not watch instructionals on Youtube, there is a lot of utter shit out there and when you've just started training it is impossible to tell what is shit and what is good.
    Wait. But. No? Really?
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative

Roy Dean's blue belt requirements is a good and easily accessible one for somebody just starting out I think.

Saulo Ribeiro's book is great and when you're a little further down the line Marcelo Garcia's DVDs have been the only really more 'advanced' ones that have actually added stuff straight into my game.

It's a good few years since I've really watched any though.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I see there is instructional videos on gracieuniversity.com it's a fair whack to pay, but it takes you through all the essentials to get your blue belt in detail. Has anyone ever bought these and got any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by stevecollins1988 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I see there is instructional videos on gracieuniversity.com it's a fair whack to pay, but it takes you through all the essentials to get your blue belt in detail. Has anyone ever bought these and got any opinions?

Not worth the cash then? They promote them well!

yeah, in other words; don't bother with that.

Keep training and drilling the basics - learning it physically is way more important than learning it mentally.

Cheers for the advice guys, I'll have a look for the recommended DVDs and see if I can get my hands on them just as a supplement to training.