Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cage Warriors 49: Cardiff - Saturday, October 27

I would score more to whoever looks like they are trying to win the fight its not ami boxin so lil pepper shots dont score imo its th shots that do damage the fighter that looks like hes hurting the other the most i dont agree with someone winning just coz they have been on top position the longest but just pinning and wen th other is on top he is doin damage and tryin to finish th fight but thats just me
    Liam Bad Intentions James, pro mma uk featherweight!!

Another little cut & paste. Just for fun apply the criteria to the fight metric previously posted.

C. Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the ring/fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.

D. Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear in(c) above, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area and effective aggressiveness and defense.

E. Effective striking is judged by determining the total number of legal strikes landed by a contestant.

F. Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active threatening guard.

G. Fighting area control is judged by determining who is dictating the pace, location and position of the bout. Examples of factors to consider are countering a grappler's attempt at takedown by remaining standing and legally striking, taking down an opponent to force a ground fight, creating threatening submission attempts, passing the guard to achieve mount, and creating striking opportunities.

H. Effective aggressiveness means moving forward and landing a legal strike.

I. Effective defense means avoiding being struck, taken down or reversed while countering with offensive attacks.

J. The following objective scoring criteria shall be utilized by the judges when scoring a round:

i. a round is to be scored as a 10-10 round when both contestants appear to be fighting evenly and neither contestant shows clear dominance in a round;

ii. a round is to be scored as a 10-9 round when a contestant wins by a close margin, landing the greater number of effective legal strikes, grappling and other maneuvers;

iii. a round is to be scored as a 10-8 round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

iv. a round is to be scored as a 10-7 round when a contestant totally dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

K. Judges shall use a sliding scale and recognize the length of time the fighters are either standing or on the ground, as follows:

i. if the mixed martial artists spent a majority of a round on the canvas, then:

a. Effective grappling is weighed first; and

b. Effective striking is then weighed

ii. If the mixed martial artists spent a majority of a round standing, then:

a. Effective striking is weighed first; and

b. Effective grappling is then weighed

iii. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

iv. If a round ends with a relatively even amount of standing and canvas fighting, striking and grappling are weighed equally.
    Last edited by Rich Mitchell; 31-10-2012 at 01:01 PM.

I also think all judges should have fought MMA as well as train in it...

To understand strikes & submissions you need to have been in that situation to appreciate how they work properly

Just my opinion tho

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I also think all judges should have fought MMA as well as train in it...

To understand strikes & submissions you need to have been in that situation to appreciate how they work properly

Just my opinion tho
    Jeff Blatnick never fought mma.
    He was the best judge of all time.
    /endthread
    16-bit for life http://findingdyluck.blogspot.co.uk/

why would it be the end of the thread?

Jeff was an NCAA and Olmpic gold medalist wrestler which meant he knew a thing or two about competing, he was hardly just a fan who got involved in the sport and wanted to be a judge... he helped build the sport & was coaching up until his unfortunate death.

Im pretty sure if he had been younger he would have competed, as he was around in the late 70's early 80's.

Dont get so touchy about it its only my humble opinion

why would it be the end of the thread?

Jeff was an NCAA and Olmpic gold medalist wrestler which meant he knew a thing or two about competing, he was hardly just a fan who got involved in the sport and wanted to be a judge... he helped build the sport & was coaching up until his unfortunate death.

Im pretty sure if he had been younger he would have competed, as he was around in the late 70's early 80's.

Dont get so touchy about it its only my humble opinion
    Tbf I agree in some respects.

Training - Yes
    Fighting - No

I hope they get Blatnick to the HOF as soon as possible.

Glad we can agree

And yes on the HoF

Glad we can agree

And yes on the HoF
    We can indeed agree.

I think there's probably more weight in the argument to be made about Refs having fought and even then I think it's debatable.

In an ideal world I would like all judges and refs to have fought but its not going to happen... training at a high level can give you a very good understanding of what certain situations are about but to completely understand it you need to have been there yourself. Again this is just my opinion.

I also think its one of the reasons why Marc Goddard is the best around as he has the perfect background for an MMA ref.

People will make the argument oh football/rugby refs etc dont play blah blah but the goal of football/rugby isnt to punch or choke your opponent unconcious... and when someone is doing that to an opponent in a highly skilled way then you need to know what your doing to ensure fighter saftey.

Im sure people will disagree with me and say so and so hasnt trained let alone fought and he is a good ref/judge and im sure those guys are good at their job. But there is a lot more goes on in the cage than you could ever understand by just being a voyeur.
    Last edited by Ralph; 31-10-2012 at 08:27 PM.

I understand the point you're making, but who would you prefer to ref your fight: Big John McCarthy or Tank Abbott?
    www.bloodyrevolution.wordpress.com