Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cage Warriors 49: Cardiff - Saturday, October 27

Haha Tank defo

Like I said in an ideal world all the refs would have backgrounds like Marcs but its never gonna happen... im more talking about the refs/judges who have never trained let alone faught and dont seem to have any other background other than being a fan!

I do think training in MMA or its respective elements to some degree is a very wise move, almost imperative, for anybody getting into officiating to give them a much more insightful view into the sport, the situations that arise, escapes, bad spots etc. I don't think fighting matters though. Sure, it could offer up some potential positives, but there could also be negatives too.

Yeah I can totally see your point, and that there could be negatives to it, (as there is to everything in life), I have a lot of respect for your opinion as you are one of the few journo's who actually gets in there and competes so know exactly how hard it is in there. (Not that other journo's dont have a valid opinion before anyone starts )

It just worries me that there are people officiating and judging who dont seem to have the necessary if any 'qualifications' to do so. But again its only my opinion boys and im sure plenty will disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Yeah I can totally see your point, and that there could be negatives to it, (as there is to everything in life), I have a lot of respect for your opinion as you are one of the few journo's who actually gets in there and competes so know exactly how hard it is in there. (Not that other journo's dont have a valid opinion before anyone starts )

It just worries me that there are people officiating and judging who dont seem to have the necessary if any 'qualifications' to do so. But again its only my opinion boys and im sure plenty will disagree!
    Thanks a lot mate, when I've lost the majority of my brain cells in a few years my writing won't be up to much but I'll get by on the notion that I've 'been there and done it' haha.

100% agree on the last paragraph, I know lots of fighters that would be useless at judging/reffing, and non-fighters that do a great job. I think something like Mr Goddard's course is the current standard that should be a minimum for any MMA officials to have attended, but unfortunately other than that there is nothing, and I agree it could be (and already is to an extent) dangerous and negative. That's why we have to support moves toward legitimacy and standarisation!

Its a matter for the Governing Body for sure

Just watching the main event now, the arena looks empty. Very strange considering the guys on the main event.
    Professional Bantamweight, Record 5-2

Just caught up with this event on my Sky+ planner. I though Bruno Carvalho won that fight. Rounds 1 & 3 are quite subjective in all fairness, Cathal was landing better shots at the start of round 3 but Bruno got him down with a leg kick and controlled from the top for the last minute or so. I think what Bruno did warranted winning round 3 but can see the argument if someone felt it should go to Cathal.

Round 2 for me was an obvious winner for Bruno, the submission attempts at the end were easily the closest point in the fight where someone got a finish and way more significant than anything else that went down in round 2. The judge that scored the fight 30-27 Cathal made an error there in my opinion.

Even Cathal himself looked like he thought the decision was going to go against him but hey, these sort of controversies happen in the UFC and it's easy for me to sit on my sofa looking at the fight without any pressure on me to get it right. I think it's also easy to miss the fact that some judges may get 1000 fights spot on but when they make that 1 error, that's the one fight everyone talks about. Glad I am not in the hot seat to be honest!

Administrator

awesome vid...thanks for posting that. Lots of upsets that night, looked like a great show.
    - KRIS BARRAS - FORCA LUTA -

wicked show fair play gutted for result u win some you looose being too relaxed cost you the fight cagewarriors great event alot of hard work was put in. love to fight on the card again. seems like they not interested with me fighting on the show my last 3 fights was a draw a win then a loss back to gym soon and maybe get some good fights for my self. roll on back to 3d mma next week
    MMA - Dogs of War, Penarth, Sam John.
    Muay Thai - Eagles Cardiff, Lee Power
    Brazilian Jujitsu - Gracie Barra Swansea, Chris Rees
    Boxing/Conditioning - Fight Academy Wales, Darren Wilson

Sponsored
    ]

http://www.onestopboxingshop.com/