Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I look like a tit if I buy tap out?

Default Will I look like a tit if I buy tap out?

Hello all.
    I have just started getting back into the gym and I have my first session booked for Friday to start mma. I am a total beginner and due to that I have no gear even down to shorts etc. I was going to nip to sports direct later and get some cheap shorts and possible some sparring gloves just to get me started but I'm a bit paranoid about showing up in tap out shorts as they might think I'm some wannabe hard man cage fighter type! I know it shouldn't matter what people think etc but in reality it does! The only reason im looking at them is they are cheap and I don't have any suitable shorts for training in, I have plenty of old t shirts.
    So, will I look like a tool if I show up in tap out shorts?
    Cheers.

Just get a pair of regular board shorts. You make out like Tapout shorts are the only shorts available! I trained for 3 years in a pair of swimming shorts.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

It's just that I read mma shorts are a bit easier to move in and they are only about 8 in sports direct.

Got some Venum British ones for my birthday this week, strange material but nice shorts. Shame Warrior have ceased as they made some great shorts that lasted well.
    I had similar concerns when someone got me a tapout t-shirt the other day, but to be honest Tapout still make some nice clothing, there's nothing wrong with wearing training apparel when you're training, it's only if you overdo it, don't train and flaunt it like a wannabe cage fyta that it looks wank imo, they're the types who have ruined the brand and I'd generally swerve it, but if you're not one of these type people then there should be no reason you still can't wear it.

plenty of other good mma clothing companies though.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Cheers guys. It was literally just because I need some shorts to train in and they are cheap. When I get a bit more into it I'll spend a bit more on some decent gear.

I like my clothes to say something about me. When I wear TapOut my clothes say: "I shop at Sports Direct and don't actually do MMA." That's how I roll.

On a serious note, I've been a TapOut hater for a while but recently invested in a couple of their t-shirts on a trip to Sports Direct because they were cheap. I'm really glad I did actually because they're a nice fit and look good (I picked a couple of the less 'loud' ones).

I was tempted by some of the shorts while I was there myself because of the price, but to be honest I don't need any new ones so I left it.

I reckon that there's nothing wrong with wearing TapOut shorts, but I'd avoid the full combo of shorts and t-shirt and looking like you actually work for the damn company.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Tapout make MMA shorts and your going an MMA class so fuck it, buy them as they're cheap as chips. Wear them for your class. Dont wear them to walk around Wilkos or go Wetherspoons.
    "tonight we dine in hell....or dominoes"

TEAM BADGERS PRISON

I have TapOut shirts, big deal. I only wear them when I go to the club and tell girls I'm a cage fighter, it adds legitimacy to my claims

Quote Originally Posted by DanCrase View Post
    I have TapOut shirts, big deal. I only wear them when I go to the club and tell girls I'm a cage fighter, it adds legitimacy to my claims
    Clearly, because only proper cagefighers are sponsored by people like Tapout, and there is no other way of getting their gear. Everyone knows that.

That said, I'm quite surprised at how many out of shape looking sponsored cagefighters there are wandering around these days...
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet J View Post
    Clearly, because only proper cagefighers are sponsored by people like Tapout, and there is no other way of getting their gear. Everyone knows that.

That said, I'm quite surprised at how many out of shape looking sponsored cagefighters there are wandering around these days...
    Exactly! I tell them I "trane UFC" and that gives the impression I have a deep knowledge of the sport also