Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making weight in a championship bout - clear up!

Default Making weight in a championship bout - clear up!

Guys,

Hi - i just wanted to clear a little something up for you all after a scenario at the weekend - after all it is times like these when I like to make the unknown - known!

For clarification, if a Champion does not make weight at the alloted time, or the grace period there after [typically one hour] the title he holds should be reliquished on the spot, no question.

The fight, if agreed depending on the time and weight missed, would go ahead as normal. The challenger, who if he/she makes the prescribed Championship weight, will become Champion should he/she win the fight. If the previous title holder wins the belt remains vacant.

This is in light of the past weekends Punshon - Marshaman fight. I was not present at the weigh in or this could have been sorted and the correct information relayed there and then. I do not know or understand who or what was said at the time of Marshmans weigh in, or any mistake in the weigh in procedure - all that interests me is the correct and proper protocols are followed.

On the Saturday morning I started to receive calls from many sources - naturally I told them what the correct outcome should be.

I would like to add that once I got to Wembley and discussed the situation and informed of the correct protocols all was met with immediate acceptance from BAMMA, Marshamans camp & management and Punshon himself as well as both Mr Marshamn & Mr Punshon and I would like to thank all for this. I then explained to the commentary team on this scenario so that it could be relayed to the veiwers at home and hopefully get them to understand what the correct procedure is and avoid any mis-understanding should they see the belt go the challengers way if he won, but not to the previous holder if he did.

For any other promotors, officials etc out there please do use this going forward and in the unfortunate event of a Champion missing weight - this is what should happen.

Thank you all.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

You mean there was no skullduggery and it was more a mix up / people not being aware of protocol?

Well thats pissed on everyones chips I bet
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    You mean there was no skullduggery and it was more a mix up / people not being aware of protocol?

Not my reason for posting! - my reason is to simply explain the correct procedure and what should be followed, hopefully others can now know so as to avoid any further confusion anywhere else - like many other details/facets it was simply not known or understood by those present.

I was not there on the Friday as explained so commenting on what other people may have said/did I do not know.

Thanks.

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post

If telling multiple members of the press that Jack made 185lbs when he did not doesn't count as skullduggery, then no, there was no skullduggery.

BAMMA not understanding the correct procedures for when a champion doesn't make weight is one thing. Telling porky pies is another.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

Thanks for the info Marc, I did not know that.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by brashleyholland View Post
    If telling multiple members of the press that Jack made 185lbs when he did not doesn't count as skullduggery, then no, there was no skullduggery.

BAMMA not understanding the correct procedures for when a champion doesn't make weight is one thing. Telling porky pies is another.
    Bradley can you confirm who exactly your sources tell you where at the scales as I have differing reports.

And thanks for the info and clarification Mark.

It is unfortunate that "Europes leading MMA promotion" (their words) didnt know that.

Hopefully somebody has also pointed out to them that half full doesnt mean "sold out".
    Last edited by BakedBean; 18-09-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post

For clarification, if a Champion does not make weight at the alloted time, or the grace period there after [typically one hour] the title he holds should be reliquished on the spot, no question.

The fight, if agreed depending on the time and weight missed, would go ahead as normal. The challenger, who if he/she makes the prescribed Championship weight, will become Champion should he/she win the fight. If the previous title holder wins the belt remains vacant.
    Without a governing body, how are such protocols decided and agreed upon? Is it a case of promotions doing their own thing or have all the promotions sat down and decided that this is how things should be done?

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

That's not what happened at the Sonnen vs Filho WEC fight for their middleweight title, is this rule more recent than that match or did WEC not follow the correct procedure, or did it not apply in the state the match was contested?

I can only advise - the rest is up to the rest!

Allan - that would have been decided by the commission as it was in the US - the state was Florida i believe. By rights Filho should have had the title removed there and then.

never argue with a fool

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

I'd guess the commission didn't know the rules.