Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Alex Reid returns at BAMMA 11

Quote Originally Posted by brashleyholland View Post
    They got 178,000 viewers for BAMMA 10. Thoughts on that?
    That's great, they should stick to that sort of card, no big names at the twilight of their career demanding big bucks to show up. Sinclair vs Warburton would be good whilst building some of the other division title pictures with the rest of the card.

Really enjoyed Reid vs Kong but that was because I expected Reid to get hammered and was really impressed and pleasantly surprised with the fight. I do not want Reid vs the 'World & British Cage Fighting Champion' (Giles), *sigh*, as the main headliner, even though it will probably be a decent fight.

The main thing I want, is Borg and Pierre to stop constantly harping on about how educated MMA fighters actually are and that they are not thugs blah blah. It's true but it's getting repetitive.

I've heard from someone well-placed that the Reid-Giles fight is still on, for what its worth.

I get why they're doing it, but it's a shocking way to promote UK MMA...especially after how quick they were to distance themselves from the Reid/Barrett 'fight' on twitter. It might them a decent rating if promoted correctly...my worry is that they're not able to do anything with it, just like last time they used Reid.

They got 178,000 viewers for BAMMA 10. Thoughts on that?
    That's solid numbers but didn't Reid - Watson get 800k? So to say they weren't able to do anything with it is a bit off.

I have no problem with Reid headlining an event, if it gets interested in the show/mma why the hell not? It's not like he's a joke either, he's a solid match up for most guys out there.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

*edit........
    Last edited by Jimmy Boogaloo; 04-10-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Quote Originally Posted by BakedBean View Post
    What amount of money and where did you get the figure from?
    I heard figures of 20k quoted. From a very good source. I could tell you but I would have to kill you. Ha

I've heard from someone well-placed that the Reid-Giles fight is still on, for what its worth.

?
    I've also heard this. Just agreeing the money is the problem.

If the Reid vs Giles fight goes ahead, I dearly hope it is MMA. I personally dont see any value in fighters building a career in other forms of 'cage combat'. its a pay day and thats it. The bigger promotions currently have a real opportunity to showcase mixed martial arts to a wider audience and educate these viewers about the sport. Throwing Uk1 in the mix is very confusing to people who dont know the difference and they might not come back. As for Alex appearing on the billing...i get it, sure. If he's main event though (and fights MMA), what title bouts will have to drop down the order and should he win, will BAMMA have to offer a title shot? That'll piss off a few people. On a slightly different note, I will plead with Jude not to put Jay from Geordie Shore on the card against David Round. David, please stop asking for it, its a ridiculous idea. A seasoned fighter taking on a complete novice = a medicine for disaster.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Quote Originally Posted by Ian23 View Post
    That's solid numbers but didn't Reid - Watson get 800k? So to say they weren't able to do anything with it is a bit off.
    You misunderstand me - I meant they did a great number with Reid vs Watson - but weren't able to translate that into a better broadcast deal/viewing figures/ticket sales/mainstream media coverage for the next event.

They might 'pop a rating' with Giles vs Reid...but can they translate that into long term success?

I've heard differing opinions on the 178,000 number. I'd predicted it would be higher. The same channel got more viewers in the same timeslot for a showing of a six year old movie. So that means it'd be more beneficial short term for 5* to licence an old movie than to pay for a live sporting event (which presumably costs them more). Hopefully they are committed to giving BAMMA a chance long term, because the channel hopping they've been doing of late isn't helping anyone.

I believe that is where the decision to go with Giles/Reid was born - the need to give 5* the confidence that they can get better ratings long term. So what happens after Reid/Giles?
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

So what happens after Reid/Giles?
    Reid/Barratt II 'The Rematch'
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Is Sengoku Tony Giles ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by shielsy View Post
    Is Sengoku Tony Giles ... ?
    No. Sengoku is the greatest argument starter ever