Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Reid returns at BAMMA 11

Quote Originally Posted by Gi-boy View Post
    Whats the difference between mma and uk 1 rules? Never heard of uk 1.
    basically K1 rules but with mma gloves, one of the most idiotic ideas ever and very very dangerous

I think another problem is having it as a UK1 fight on TV, seriously outside of these forums and the hardcore, will anyone watching have a clue what UK1 actually is? I know they may not be up on all MMA rules but if they are tuning in to see cage fighting, they probably have some idea what it is, this will only muddy the waters more, not sure its a big issue but still, market it as MMA and then have a non MMA main event?
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimmy View Post
    basically K1 rules but with mma gloves, one of the most idiotic ideas ever and very very dangerous
    From the same people who brought you Ultimate Ball and ******** ******!

I don't necessarily have a problem with UK1 rules, it's just like two fighters in MMA who stand for the full 15 minutes and bang, look at the fight with Piotr and Bahari on this forum, or look at the majority of Phil BAroni fights, I don't agree it should be the Main Event on live television.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    bah, Reid is the biggest mma advertising asset in the UK at the moment. you want to see this semi-retired, slightly aging fighter get crushed by a lunatic up-and-comer on a proper roll? I don't understand why people think the Marshman fight is such a good fit. no disrespect to Alex, I think he's awesome, but Jack would have a big advantage if they fought now.

the Giles fight makes perfect sense from a marketing point of view. another minor celeb who can fight. I'd prefer to see it mma, neither is likely to shoot and it would more than likely be a stand up war.

Given that TV is central to BAMMA's game, it's the perfect fit. it would garner some serious interest with non-mma fans and do pretty good numbers i reckon.

sure, it isn't the purest match up in terms of rankings, and in terms of mma ability etc, someone else should really be headlining - but this isn't shooto c-class, having an entertaining, hyped up fight between two minor celebs could be a massive draw.

come for the celeb fight, stay for the MMA.

BAMMA shouldn't necessarily pander to insiders and serious fans - they need impressive viewing figures for this to be as successful as possible. if they are planning Reid/Giles, I don't blame them and hope it does well.
    I really do see where your coming from, but, having A) Minor celebrity -VS- B) An even more minor celebrity, does nothing for the sport, it might bring in a few spotty faced teeneagers who watch 'Fat Gypsy Wedding' or whatever its called, but thats it. Stops there.

I think if you take BAMMA's top star (Jack) or another and put up against the A) Minor Celebrity (Alex) you still bring in those extra viewers the choice above would of (granted they might not be gypsy fans, but they will be non-mma fans) *AND Jack gets a huuuuuge boost in popularity. This is the way BAMMA should go....I can't see Jude booking Alex/Tony. If you told me that match was happening A) you would instantly think UK1, because Giles has ZERO ground game and B) a UCMMA fight NOT a BAMMA fight.

Tony Giles in UCMMA is bad enough. Just no BAMMA

...and, FUCK UK1, it brings MMA (wether intentionally connected to it or not) down a few pegs, which is something the british scene could seriously do without.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    I don't necessarily have a problem with UK1 rules, it's just like two fighters in MMA who stand for the full 15 minutes and bang, look at the fight with Piotr and Bahari on this forum, or look at the majority of Phil BAroni fights, I don't agree it should be the Main Event on live television.
    But if you get knocked down in an MMA fight you don't get standing 10 counts? This is where the danger comes in for me!

Quote Originally Posted by MMAlien View Post
    But if you get knocked down in an MMA fight you don't get standing 10 counts? This is where the danger comes in for me!
    This. Over and over again. Why Dave and Co thought this was a good idea is beyond me. Your an MMA promotion, put on MMA fights. End. Of.

Quote Originally Posted by MMAlien View Post
    Another valid point, guess it'll be on the referee though to spot that a fighter cannot continue depite the fighter protesting. I guess its a matter of opinion, some won't mind for abc, and some will for xyz.

Why not 8oz or 10oz gloves like normal K1? with the thumb strapped in so you can't poke eyes? UK-1 is daft!

the problem you have is in combat sports serious brain injuries can occur as a result from a double concussion, this is likely why brain injuries are more common in boxing due to both the size of the glove surface area and the standing 8 count. This is why MMA also has medical suspensions in santioned mma countries to stop fighters recieving multiple concussions in such a short space of time.

Its a matter of time before there is a serious accident in UK MMA, without a governing body things like Mike Persil, UK1 and Ultimate ball will always crop up.