Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Reid returns at BAMMA 11

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Shrek View Post
    Standard i'll fight him post.

I'll fight him!

Are they still putting on the Geordie shore guy vs David Round? Same card for the Heat readers or splitting it up over two cards?

hope fully although i think he needs more time to train. he said he only needed 3 months im ready when ever he is so come on jay get in the gym so jude can sort it out

What about Reid vs Punshon?

Reid is not in the best of form and despite being a top ranked fighter Punshon has lost both BAMMA fights. Both are great talents, both bring it and it would be a great fight.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Court View Post
    What about Reid vs Punshon?

Reid is not in the best of form and despite being a top ranked fighter Punshon has lost both BAMMA fights. Both are great talents, both bring it and it would be a great fight.
    I'd enjoy that fight, however I fear they probs see Giles as a bigger mainstream name than Punshion
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Was looking forward to going to Bamma 11, Tickets were going to be booked as I thought it was rid of the 'minor celeb' shit that always crops up with UK MMA fights. Bamma 10 main event was awesome, Sinclair vs Winner was really entertaining. For a moment I thought we had turned a corner. Then Reid looks to be main event for Bamma 11. WTF! The guy lost 7 fights and starred in that fucking awful 'fight' with Barrett. Thers such a wealth of talent right now in the uk mma scene why pick a guy who lost 7 fights in a row just cos he blew his muck in some minor celebs? Really if Bamma want him on the card put him on early against a decent fighter and let him do what fighters do, climb back up. Bamma 12 will be Keith Chegwin vs Russel Grant as main event next time. If you want to make MMA mainstream best way is to be a dignified organisation and respect the sport your promoting. Alex Reid, if he had won his last few fights, would have been a great pick, but he hasn't and so isn't. Get some older UFC boys on it Baroni would be great to see, 5 could play some highlight reels of their glory days and get the publics attention, plus the genuine MMA fans would sell it out. But instead we will get the Alex Reid minor celeb headline event. Nothing against Alex, he does bring it and can take some good shots but he isn't a main event at this moment (7 losses) and the Tony Giles UK1 rules rumour has killed this already for me. UK1 isn't MMA so what the fuck are they thinking. So therefore I appreciate their time, I did enjoy Bamma 10's main event and Channel 5 do good coverage, but Reid vs Giles should not be main event, UK1 should be no where near an MMA card and on that basis I'M OUT.
    "tonight we dine in hell....or dominoes"

TEAM BADGERS PRISON

Quote Originally Posted by UltimatePunch View Post
    Was looking forward to going to Bamma 11, Tickets were going to be booked as I thought it was rid of the 'minor celeb' shit that always crops up with UK MMA fights. Bamma 10 main event was awesome, Sinclair vs Winner was really entertaining. For a moment I thought we had turned a corner. Then Reid looks to be main event for Bamma 11. WTF! The guy lost 7 fights and starred in that fucking awful 'fight' with Barrett. Thers such a wealth of talent right now in the uk mma scene why pick a guy who lost 7 fights in a row just cos he blew his muck in some minor celebs? Really if Bamma want him on the card put him on early against a decent fighter and let him do what fighters do, climb back up. Bamma 12 will be Keith Chegwin vs Russel Grant as main event next time. If you want to make MMA mainstream best way is to be a dignified organisation and respect the sport your promoting. Alex Reid, if he had won his last few fights, would have been a great pick, but he hasn't and so isn't. Get some older UFC boys on it Baroni would be great to see, 5 could play some highlight reels of their glory days and get the publics attention, plus the genuine MMA fans would sell it out. But instead we will get the Alex Reid minor celeb headline event. Nothing against Alex, he does bring it and can take some good shots but he isn't a main event at this moment (7 losses) and the Tony Giles UK1 rules rumour has killed this already for me. UK1 isn't MMA so what the fuck are they thinking. So therefore I appreciate their time, I did enjoy Bamma 10's main event and Channel 5 do good coverage, but Reid vs Giles should not be main event, UK1 should be no where near an MMA card and on that basis I'M OUT.
    I think you might find it will be a MMA fight between Reid and Giles. And he gave Tom Watson a good run for his money not to long ago. I see this as a warm up fight. He wins this then he Will fight for the title again.

Plus look at the other losses he has had and the guys he was fighting were pretty good.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

I always thought Reid was consistently overmatched, he always got chucked in there with vicious bastards - Prof X was on top form when they fought, frykland had fought great opposition and was in the tailend of his prime, Matsui was a punchbag for the top fighters, but no joke for anyone but the elite, rivera went on a massive ufc run soon after their fight, shit luck against Rua when his shin exploded. Ewin, one of his 'easier' fights was still pretty much best in the country. Alex fought them all, blood, guts, multiple eye pokes, knee destroyed in heel hook, massive shin cut, serious knee injury going into a fight...

Fair play to him, it is a harsh man that ignores this stuff. It pisses me off when people look at the stats and dismiss him as just a minor celeb.
    Last edited by Jimmy Boogaloo; 03-10-2012 at 08:36 PM.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    I always thought Reid was consistently overmatched, he always got chucked in there with vicious bastards - Prof X was on top form when they fought, frykland had fought great opposition and was in the tailend of his prime, Matsui was a punchbag for the top fighters, but no joke for anyone but the elite, rivera went on a massive ufc run soon after their fight, shit luck against Rua when his shin exploded. Ewin, one of his 'easier' fights was still pretty much best in the country. Alex fought them all, blood, guts, multiple eye pokes, knee destroyed in heel hook, massive shin cut, serious knee injury going into a fight...

Fair play to him, it is a harsh man that ignores this stuff. It pisses me off when people look at the stats and dismiss him as just a minor celeb.
    I think you have got that spot on. People are to quick to look at the losses and not at who he actually fought.

I know who Alex has fought and I know he gives his all. Thats not the point. The point I was making is that should a guy, regardless of how good the opponents were, be main event on an MMA card fighting against a UK1 rules champ? I wouldn't mind seeing it as an earlier fight but come on, BAMMA 11 should have been onwards and upwards. Lets let Alex rebuild his record not stick him in as the top billing. For my money I will pick Cagewarriors 49's Card any day over this. I wish that was on channel 5. Alex could do with a win and Giles may be one for the future if he can bring some kind of ground game to his striking abilities but BAMMA have the opportunity to showcase to the nation how good UK MMA really is. Giles vs Reid is undercard at best and will be in the papers for all the wrong reasons. Big fat gypsy vs big brother winner. Not a good way forward if we have to endure this kind of tactic to get our sport on tv in this country. Looking at CW49 Id PPV that fucker! This isn't Alex Reid hating. A guy with 7 losses (no matter what the abilities of the opponents) shouldn't be the main event on national tv. How many watched the Barrett fight? would you want that on channel 5 ? I would like to see Alex rebuild and work his way up for the right reasons. Just dont understand what it would achieve ? He lost against good solid opponents so lets feed him a uk1 guy in his debut mma fight ? Lets make it main event ? I wouldnt mind seeing Alex on the card earlier, hope its against a quality, evenly matched fighter and hope they get a good headline fight.
    "tonight we dine in hell....or dominoes"

TEAM BADGERS PRISON

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

the fact remains, if you were putting on a show and wanted to generate good viewing figures, you'd be mad not to include him on the televised section. he and Tony between them would be a bigger draw with that audience than anyone else, so it makes sense for them to put it as main event imo

'negocios es negocios'

let's see what happens
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Whilst I agree completely that there are far more deserving mixed martial artists in the UK for the headliner on BAMMA 11 I completely understand why they are putting Reid in there and I believe it will work well for them.

Ive been vocal on a number of occasions with regards to Reid being underated and Jimmy is spot on that he has been consistently over match but he is one tough SOB and has been scrapping since people thought Wing Chun works.

I take it you chaps have not been keeping up to date with the Twitter drama but it would apear that BAMMA offered Tony Giles Leeroy Barnes not Alex Reid and Tony first refused the fight with Leeroy and then refused to fight on BAMMA altogether.

I think now he wants the Reid fight on UCMMA?