Thread: strike force eventy cancel

Default strike force eventy cancel

this week strike force is cancel due to injurys yet again

“When Showtime informed us that it would not be airing the event, we made the difficult decision to cancel Saturday’s card in Sacramento,” Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said. “Without a television partner, we simply could not move forward with this event. We wish Gilbert a speedy recovery and will work diligently and quickly to reschedule the fighters affected by this news on upcoming cards

i think the prob is there having two many events in one month cards were always quite gud when they had one show a month

definitly part of the problem. Just not having enough stars is the main problem I think. This is the risk you run when you only have one draw on a card. Boxing has taught us this over the past 15 years.

Rough month for Zuffa. 2 cards inside of a month. That's insane. nobody would have predicted that before this all happened.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

That show was booked at the Arco Arena which seats nearly 18k.

I can't think that show would have sold any more than a 1,500 tickets.

You don't want to be holding empty looking arena shows. It's Strikeforce, it ain't Puppet Show and Spinal Tap. Unless they planned to flood the place with a load of complimentary tickets.
    16-bit for life http://findingdyluck.blogspot.co.uk/

Think this highlights how weak Strikeforce is at present, especially with the UFC being spread over more and more events and having taken a few top fighters from the Strikeforce roster, its mad to happen twice so quickly but I wouldnt be shocked to see it happen again, especially to Strikeforce, unless the UFC pads their roster which isn't going to happen anytime soon either. At least ZUFFA know now they have to make sure the co-main event is strong in case of emergency and maybe even the third tier fight as well, Strikeforce haven't simply got enough names to do that on one card let alone card after card.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Think this highlights how weak Strikeforce is at present, especially with the UFC being spread over more and more events and having taken a few top fighters from the Strikeforce roster, its mad to happen twice so quickly but I wouldnt be shocked to see it happen again, especially to Strikeforce, unless the UFC pads their roster which isn't going to happen anytime soon either. At least ZUFFA know now they have to make sure the co-main event is strong in case of emergency and maybe even the third tier fight as well, Strikeforce haven't simply got enough names to do that on one card let alone card after card.
    UFC is a dying sport

the fad is over! Zuffa's greed will lead to the downfall of this sport. They really think they can sell piss weak cards in this economy ....no chance.

Dude sorry but thats utter bollocks really isn't it.. You think Fox would have signed on if they saw anything in the books that indicated that? All the big sponsors hoping on board? Nike with Jones and so on? Yeah its all showing doom and gloom!

Anything to back that up? Proof of loss of revenues? PPV declining rates? Salary reductions, lay offs and so on?

http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/
    PPV declining rates?
    PPV's have hit the skids since Lesnar left.
    The dude was the biggest draw the sport has ever seen.

This year has been the first year the UFC has put out an event that's received under 200k buys.

Look at it logically.

UFC 99 did 360,000 buys with a Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei main event.
    How many buys do you think a card that weak would do now?

The rematch did less than half that.

Barao vs. Faber did 235k and Henderson vs. Edgar did 190k.

But, are they still turning a profit? Plus you have to compare the saturation of the market - with the Fox events, what they make on revenue from that probably counteracts what they lose on the weaker ppv's. People forget the additional revenue stream from Fox that will counterbalance any ppv loses to some extent I would imagine, if not overshadow them.

UFC aint going bust anytime soon, people who wish it does, might as well wish the death of MMA because without the UFC I seriously doubt the long term prospects for UK MMA or anywhere - sure it will tick over but the UFC is what brings more new fans to the sport than Bobs Backyard Brawl 4..

As for Lesnar, dude was a ppv freak, if you take him out of the equation it would give a more fair reflection of buy rates. Either side of the Lesnar era is a more unbiased set of stats I would have thought, Lesnar brought a crowd over and a lot of them left with him as well.

As for Lesnar, dude was a ppv freak
    A crazy stat about Brock is that in 2010 he became only the third man, next to Mike Tyson and Manny Pacquiao, to main event two shows in the same year that both pulled over a million buys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben CQ View Post
    A crazy stat about Brock is that in 2010 he became only the third man, next to Mike Tyson and Manny Pacquiao, to main event two shows in the same year that both pulled over a million buys.
    That dude was a phenom for the UFC in regards to PPV, but not a true reflection of where the sport is at I suppose, wonder what kind of retention the UFC had for fans coming over from WWE and staying even after Brock left.. Also begs the question of if the sport can produce its own Brock internally and not from a cross over from another sport, I suppose at the moment Silva, Jones are the 2 wrecking machines most like Tyson in his heyday, but neither have gained the kind of popularity that Brock had (though maybe in Brazil for Silva).

I think its the thing that I find most interesting about the sport is how its going to evolve again over the next 10 years, atheletes becoming even more well rounded, will the general public finally start picking up on it and therefore increasing revenue's further and the trickle down effect that will have on salaries etc as well. Could be interesting times ahead, I don't see the UFC declining anytime soon, granted there may be slow down patches due to over saturation at times combined with the recession, but I think its here to stay now and I wonder how much further it can go (not just the UFC but MMA as a whole), if it becomes a beast, what trickle down effect will that have for local shows as well, could be interesting and hopefully generate more revenue for local shows and their fighters...