Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glasgow Open new venue

Default Glasgow Open new venue

Apologise guys but we've had to change venues again, been scrambling frantically over the past 2 weeks and I can happily announce that the event will be in the Kirkintilloch Leisure Centre. Kirkintilloch is one of the outlying suburbs of Glasgow and has excellent transport links, with a direct link via the M80 motorway, train services from Lenzie station and also bus services with the 88, X85 and X87 bus services from Buchanan Bus Station. There is plenty of free parking on site as well.

Event is still October 6th, with a 10am start.
    Scotlands No. 1 Timekeeper also available as a BJJ/No Gi referee

Entry is 25 before the 26th of September, and then 30 until the closing of entries on the 3rd of October for adult, masters & seniors male competitors, females and juveniles 10 rising to 15 and juniors 5 going up to 10.

Male brown & black belts have free entry to the Elite division as do female purple, brown and black belts

Just over 2 weeks left at the early entry price

just a bit of an advanced warning, numbers registered so far are down by a significant number from what they usually are this time out. If we don't have a viable number of competitors by next weekend we'll have to pull the plug, which would be a bit of a shame considering this is Scotland's longest running BJJ event.

I can't help but think the venue change doesn't help. I can't see a lot of people being arsed traipsing to Kirkintilloch. No chance of switching it back to Glasgow proper?

That's a pish excuse.

It's hardly a 4 hour drive

injury and under training means i wont be there but if you do bjj in scotland you would be mad to miss it.although kirkie people might be inbred they will not harm you.
    venni,vetti,vecci

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Cumstein View Post
    I can't help but think the venue change doesn't help. I can't see a lot of people being arsed traipsing to Kirkintilloch. No chance of switching it back to Glasgow proper?
    No chance whatsoever, we tried but couldn't get a venue that was either big enough or had enough mats. Besides your talking about a 15 minute drive max to Kirky or 5 minutes on the train. It's hardly a traipse

Had a few people asking about directions etc to the event. Here's a link to google maps direction page with the centre already set. http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...KPL1&mkt=en-GB

You are basically talking a further 5-10 minutes from the M8, less travelling time than it would have been to get to Scotstoun. Make sure if your coming from either the west or east you take the M80 though and not the A803 as it's traffic light central. The M80 your only on for 2 exits before the Kirkintilloch slip road.

From the north you'll be on the M80 anyway I'd imagine so your just taking an earlier cut off than you would normally.

There is plenty of free parking at the centre.

For those using public transport, if your going by bus I'd recommend either the X85 or X87 as these both go via the M80. The 88 also goes past the sports centre but takes about 50 minutes as opposed to 20 for the other two. Get off the bus at the stop just after the old East Dunbartonshire Council HQ. The sports centre is in the park opposite the offices.

For the train get the Alloa or Dunblane train from Glasgow (18 and 48 minutes past the hour) and get off at Lenzie (2nd stop) . It's then a 5-10 minute walk down a straight road to the sports centre or there is a taxi office right next to the train station.

From Edinburgh you will need to change trains at Croy, as there are very few direct services to Lenzie from Edinburgh.
    Hopefully this will clear up any confusion regarding the venue.

Right we are going ahead, looks like we have one brown belt match in the pipeline and also got a junior at u69 looking for a match. Also got female competitors at u53.5kg, u58.5kg and u64kg so if you know of anyone looking for matches in those divisions let them know we have someone for them.