Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should you train for MMA?

Hybrid View

Default How should you train for MMA?

Just got done watching this Ross Pearson interview where he talks about why he thinks G Sot is behind the times because he trains each discipline seperately such as Monday Boxing Tuesday Wresting Wednesday BJJ etc and that he doesnt train enough MMA, particularly the transitioning between the arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43HPHCVJHsw

Personally I train the arts seperately because I think that each art is way more developed than 'MMA' when you do it all together. This is how GSP trains (sure there is more but he's the famous one).

What do you think? To clarify of course you need to spar MMA and practice your transitioning, gnp, overall tactics etc but I think its more beneficil training arts separately.
    Start Wrestling

First and foremost before you even step foot in a gym you need to purchase (and wear out) a Tap Out t shirt .
    This will automatically qualify you to state that you do train "UFC Cage Fighting" which is basically the hard version of mixed martial arts for street badass's.

The next step requires a little homework, try to remember where your old Karate school was located and return there in your tap out T shirt (in fact never leave home without it or people will think your a pussy). Check that they have taken down the old Shotokan sign and replaced it with Sho Ryo MMA or close approximation.

If they have the sign then enter the dojo/club/baddass arena and check the most important thing of all to see if they are legit UFC/Cage Fighting , that they have placed their punch bags on the floor!

Once that's done your good to go , say Ouss to your 8th Dan Sensai who hasn't fought since some underground pit fighting shit that happened before Internet and Polaroid cameras and begin your training .

Prepare to be feared !!

Ousss

I agree with bean
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

You forgot to say that you need to wear your hand wraps & rash vest. Everywhere.
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative

Quote Originally Posted by The Gimp View Post
    You forgot to say that you need to wear your hand wraps & rash vest. Everywhere.
    Bro??? That's advanced ! You need at least 3 months consistent training once a fortnight to rock that shit out in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by BakedBean View Post
    Bro??? That's advanced ! You need at least 3 months consistent training once a fortnight to rock that shit out in the wild.
    Bean, you forgot to mention - when this gym is closed....

We all know when it is closed you have to go to your local Fitness First, Virgin Active (or other gym) in your Tapout T-Shirt, with hand wraps and lift some weights or punch the punchbag using all your "technique"

Quote Originally Posted by jonj View Post
    Bean, you forgot to mention - when this gym is closed....

We all know when it is closed you have to go to your local Fitness First, Virgin Active (or other gym) in your Tapout T-Shirt, with hand wraps and lift some weights or punch the punchbag using all your "technique"

I was so low on training kit when i left for work today i grabbed a tapout one I was given. And in my lunch break I went to my health & fitness gym to do some intervals work on treadmill. Its a Virgin Active gym. The shame. There was another guy in there with a tap out vest, who looks at me like we were kindred spirits.

I would think that (after following the mandatory initiation process described above ) that your best option is to train each separately but also fit in aan inbtegrative MMA session (drills and sparring combined) at least once a week.

This would ensure that your technique is as good as it could be in each area and that you are also wll versed in MMA proper where the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

Otherwise you might be doing something analagous to training in Association Football and Rugby Union but only competing in Rugby League or Gaelic football
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

Tbf i do all the disciplines seperately but do 1-2 mma tranistional stuff a week n 2 mma sparring sessions a week to mix it all up n it works for me

It's also of vital importance that you address everyone online as bro, despite it being a word you have never, ever used in the "real" world.